Earnhardt Sr. #3

letsgobrowns82

So I've got my other build winding down now and decided to go digging through my stash. I'm not a nascar fan but I have 7 different versions of this car in the closet. I just love the way this car looks. So Im breaking this one open and am going to have a go at it. Looks like a fun build and they molded it in white (thank you), even the rims are molded in white instead of that chrome I remember them coming in. Anyways I have 2 weeks off so I am going to try and do a fairly detailed build log on here. Hopefully you'll enjoy it.

[attachment deleted by admin]

Okay the chassis and roll bars have all been sanded down (a lot of seams on the roll bars) and everything is glued together. Next step is off to the paint booth and maybe start assembling the engine.

Okay laying down the first coat of gray here. I can find any spots that need a little more attention or any seams that didnt get completely sanded after this. Still enjoying the new spray booth that I built too. Now I dont have to hear my wife complain everytime I paint ;D

I do have some seams that I am going to have to hit with Mr Surfacer but overall pretty happy with it. May be a shade too dark yet but its not the final coat so I'm not worried about that. Thats it for tonight.

Working on getting the body primed here. After this coat I'm going to hit it with a flat black, sand again, and then finish with classic black.

Okay I've got the engine starting to come together and working on the chassis. Painting all the padding and adding detail to it. I've got to say I've been spoiled by spending so much time in Aircraft and most recently Armor. Building Tamiya and Hobby Boss kits and then going to this is a big shock. Theres a lot of flash and seams that dont match up so well. So this is been some what challenging so far, still enjoyable though.

Well things are starting to take shape now. This is the first nascar kit I've built since I was a kid, probably 15 years ago so its been fun so far. The roll cage is just as tricky as I remember it especially with all the flash on it. I remember painting the parts for the cage seperately and then glueing everything together at the end but that would always be very messy so this time I glued everything together then painted it. This presented its own challenges with angles and trying to get paint everywhere but never the less I got it done. I'm not sure which approach is better as they each have a downside. I guess I'd have to say this way b/c the roll cage looks better as you can glue it together much better and get it to look "welded" together.

Nothing to fancy here, just dropped the motor in to see what it looks like. Its not ready to be put in yet. But soon.

Well I'm starting on the body now. I've got two coats of primer down and now the first coat of MM Classic Black. This is going to have to dry for a day now and then I will wet sand it, put one more coat down, then clear coat, and she'll be ready for decals. I love doing the decals, they make the car come to life.

Okay the motor is now dropped in and amazingly the exhaust headers didnt fall off in the process.

Second coat of black is now on the body. Its going to have to sit for a while so I can sand it out and clear it.

Okay the chassis is basically done now, Im still waiting on the tires though. Im hoping to get the decals for those done up tomorrow so I can finish this and focus on the body.

2nd shot of the chassis. I'm happy with the way it came out but anybody that really wants to see one of these done up check out StyreneStylist's build. The detail he's packed into one of these is incredible.

Latest posts

Back