Dragon M1A2 SEP

letsgobrowns82

Well this was my project for the big spring contest and I think the last time I touched it was in late May. I had to go to 3rd shift for a couple months and we had a death in the family so things have just been very stressfull over the last few months, not leaving much time or ambition to model. Now though here in North West Pennsylvania the weather is cold and rainy and things have calmed down. A perfect time to pick back up where I left off. Here is where I stand with this project.

[attachment deleted by admin]

I still have a TON of work to do to this. I have the "Big Foot" track set by Bronco that I have to assemble yet. Wow does that look extremely tedious for something that will barely show when all is said and done. Oh well I bought it so I might as well put it on. Also I watched Norm's in box review of the Hobby Boss M1070 and I am seriously considering purchasing that to put this on once I finish it.

Okay so I also need some help b/c I am at a crossroads here. Now the plow on this kit that I robbed from the tamiya kit is tripping me up. I imagine that the tines would have some shiny bare metal from constantly rubbing against dirt and rocks. Then I would assume some of those rocks would kick up and chip the paint in the scoop of the plow and you would have rust on there as well. I dont know where to start or how to recreate this. I've just never done it. Any tricks or thoughts on this?

Okay, here I've been working on the stowage set that I got from legend. Wow this is maybe only half of the pieces included in the kit and they are extremely well detailed. I have to weather the ammo cans yet and do some color modulation on the bags and rolled up sacks still. For the backpack/rucksack type pieces I tried to emulate the Desert Camo from the Gulf War before all the digital camo came out. Ive got a lot to do to these pieces but I am pleased with the way they are coming out so far and I think they make the kit stand out more when its finished.

Well I have decided to try for the first time the "salt method" to get some rusting and chiping on the mine plow. I just read TRM's tutorial on how to do this and thank God for him otherwise I'd be lost. Heres a before and after. I to some dark brown and added some Mig pigments rust color to it to add some red to it. I dont want a lot of rust, I think just a little for effect I dont want to get carried away. We'll see how it turns out.

I have slowly started added some of the detail work to the turret. I still have to dry brush it for some color variation and I'm going to clear it then give it a wash. Finally I am going to hit it with the AK Interactive streaking set. Also Im not sure how but I forgot or neglected to preshade the barrel so I have to go back and do that. Possible tonight but its getting late.

Getting the chance to play a little catch up from the storm and what not!! Hope all is well on you home front too!!

Nice job so far!!! You seem to be moving right along here!! Although I have not used these particular Bronco tracks, I have used others and just take you time and you will be pleased. Don't try an finish all at one time. Use construction of these as kind of a filler in between other tasks on the project and they will get done!!

As for the chipping along the blade of the plow, I can see this being worn too...to what degree is up to you. Freshly painted blade in service would have less than one on the move and in the field for a bit and of course where it is in service.

With that, thanks for the plug on the SBS btw. Glad you enjoyed it. It can be useful in many ways. From what you mentioned, you have started already? Looking forwards to seeing some progress shots on this!! I have yet to dog into one of these but am planning something a bit more modern soon and you never know what might come after that!!

I will leave you to getting back to work on this and of course some inspiration!!!

25iq2xy.jpg

4sxic0.jpg

No get busy!!! ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

LGB82!!!

Awesomeness!!! Great to see you back on this build. I was starting to worry a bit there if we would ever see this again.

Looks like you are moving along nicely. yeah them details bits can take a little while to knock-out, so just hang in there bud!!

Thanks guys! Its great to be back after everything. It sucks I couldnt get this done for the contest but I can now take my time and really detail this without worrying about deadlines. Hopefully I'll have some new pics up tonight.

Well I didnt get as much as I had hoped done. I did some light dry brushing with my base color and just a drop of white to highlight some of the edges and breakup the color. For some reason its tough to see in the picture but it is very subtle. I didnt want to overdue it. I also put two coats of hairspray on the front plow so I am going to let that sit until tomorrow and then put the salt on it. Anxious to get that going. Thats all for tonight.

Nice to see some color on the blade!! Do you have any Graphite or AK Dark Steel? After your rounds on the blade, a nice rubbing on the lower sections and edges will make it just jump out at you!!!

Looking forward to the chipping on the blade soon!!! ;)

Nice pre-shade coming through on the paint job.

Subtle drybrushing is the way to go. ;)

Thanks Ken! TRM dont have any AK Dark Steel, I may have to pick some of that up. I managed to get a little progress on the tracks done. WOW is this tedious, but very worth it. The detail is awesome on these, I can see the payoff is going to be worth it. Even though most of the track will be hidden the parts that show are going to look great.

Slow and steady on the tracks....but like you say, well worth it! Once you get the full length links you will be all excited to finish up the next!!!

As for the AK, you can;t go wrong, but, you can get similar results using a graphite pencil !! Rubbing in pencil form and grinding up to a powder for other apps!!! ;)

Yeah I'm kinda falling into a rythm with these tracks right now, they arent so bad. As far as graphite I have tried that before but I might just go ahead and get the AK, I have the AK streaking set and man that stuff is AWESOME!!

Yeah, once you try the AK Dark Steel you will fall in love with it!!! Just about wanted to put it on my toast after getting it!! :eek: (wouldn't suggest that :p ) Too easy to get amazing results!!! ;)

Okay well as you can see I managed to get some more of the tracks done, not much. Also I did a test of the salt method for rust. I wanted to do a demo run to see how it works since its my first time. I need to put more salt on next time and make sure to get the edges where rust would definitely build up. I also think I am going to really hit the tines of the plow as though it has been sitting for a little while. I am not going to paint the plow tan like it is now, I ordered AK Interactive Dark Steel from Ebay (thanks to a great review from TRM) and that should be here middle of next week so progress on the plow is going to be slowed. No big deal I've got a ton left to due. I am going to have time this weekend so I am really hoping to bang out quite a bit. Thanks for looking!

Forward movement...the best kind!! Sorry for spending you $$$ a bit with the AK...hee hee....you will sleep with it under you pillow!! ;D

On those lower sections where you want more rust to show, you can just not spray with the top color or try and stay above it when spraying. If you have that clear coat on the rust base before you salt and top coat, you can simply take some lukewarm water and both a stiff bristle brush and/or cotton swab....dampen the area (small section at a time) with a clean brush (damp, not soaked)...wait a few seconds or so and then lightly stipple with the brush or rub lightly wirh the swab and you will be able to pull off your top coat in areas you wish to show the rust to you liking. If you leave top coat showing when you get to the weathering....washes and pigments, the layers will build up and look amazing!!!

Back to those tracks!! ;D

Sweet, thanks for the tips. I am going to experiment a little with whats here to see how to get the different results with the water and brush. Then I will sand it down a little, re-shoot my rust color and by then hopefully my AK Dark Steel will be here!!!!!!!!!!! Cant wait.

Latest posts

Back