DIY scale model stands

Weezer

I'm going to start work on an X-wing fighter. I wanted to know if there's a tutorial that shows how to build and install a "pipe" stand for painting and displaying. I've seen people using what looks like threaded pipes and brackets to hold up their models.

Any help is appreciated.

There aren't any tutorials that I am aware of. Some guys use brass rod, some use stuff from the plumbing section of the hardware store.

What scale are you building? Finemolds 1:72 vs Studio Scale 1:24 will require a different approach in order to accommodate the weight.

Hey Scott
I believe it's the same kit used in your Red 3 build. I was playing around with the idea of scratch building studio scale version, but I'll save that for my retirement... (20 year from now) ::)

I guess a brass tube could work. Although I'd like to attach and detach the fighter while in build mode.

I usually use a piece of plastic tubing epoxied into the bottom of the model. The inside diameter of this tubing is the same as the outside diameter of a length of brass rod which is attached to the base. This allows a very secure press-fit while still enabling the model to be seperated from the base. In this case, an umbilical is passing through the rod into the model so I glued a stop ring inside the plastic tubing to allow it to slide over the brass tubing to a set depth. If no wiring is passing through the rod, I simply glue the plastic tube to the top of the model or cap it with plastic rod.
jk_ddrex_23_LowerHullUmbilical.jpg

For the last three models I have built, I have made custom stands. For two of them they had electrical connections so I used brass rods and a few plugs:

IMG_0966.jpg
IMG_0982.jpg
IMG_0985.jpg
Sorry the pictures are a little fuzzy......

For one other, I took a few acrylic rods and found the balance point of the model. From there I just supported it with the rods:

20101011_34.jpg
20101014_9.jpg

This is just to give you a few ideas.

I thought about using threaded rods with nuts in the model, but I couldn't find a brass rod with a diameter that would work with my tap and die set. Also, that would mean spinning the model on and off the stand. If you want something removable, I would try splashcoat's idea.

Latest posts

Back