Das Reich Tiger Kharkov

McKeever said:
I own the Ak interactive dvd on winter effects. The truck shows breathtaking skill, but I don't think it is realistic, unless it has been abandoned. Reference photos rarely show that sort of wear and tear. If you consider the average lifespan of most tanks, I think less of these sorts of effects is more. I realize I am probably in the minority on this.

It's a hobby right? And it's a form of art too. If you choose to model pure realism, that's cool...if you choose to push it over the edge, that's cool too. There lots of room at SMA for both approaches...the goal is to enjoy the time we get to spend on the hobby.

Looks pretty worn and also looks very operational. Maybe something like this was his inspiration?

half1.jpg

Or better yet, this one

[attachment deleted by admin]

Ken Abrams said:
Looks pretty worn and also looks very operational. Maybe something like this was his inspiration?

half1.jpg

Or better yet, this one

Those pics simply demonstrate worn whitewash, which I never objected to. I never said I don't like the hairspray technique--I do, a lot. I'll raise you those pics and see you pics of some of the Stug IIIF8s from Kharkov, where the whitewash is even more worn off on than that, and which I hope to replicate on my Stug III F8. What I don't like so much of, and what I was referring to are some of the other effects, notably excessive rust, oil stains and so on. The Opel truck which is the subject of the winter effects dvd epitomizes what I mean. While in awe of some of his skills, I think a lot of those effects are overkill and don't look like most vehicles you see.
I stand by statement--a lot of that Spanish school stuff takes these effects too far.

To redirect the orignal intention of my quest, amd to prevent a flame war on the advantages and disadvantages of te Spanish school, I would like to again posit my original query-namely whether the hairspray technique is appropriate for some of the very light wear as seen on pics of 821 in Das Reich Tigers. I'd scan a pic but my scanner is not hooked up.
Mind you this Tiger was manufactured in January 43, and was at Kharkov a month later in late February (I think, or it could be early March).

McKeever said:
a lot of that Spanish school stuff takes these effects too far.

I don't know if I model 'Spanish school' but you might want to give my models a pass.

;)

...and fear not. There will be no flame war here.

Let your work stand on it's own merits without denouncing someone else work is I think what my message is.

Cool?

Cool!

I was not referrrng to your models, and do not recall seeing them off hand, so I really do not know how you could take umbrage with my comments about an Opel featured on one of Mig's Dvds.

I'd still be using Tamiya Weathering Packs if it wasn't for that 'Spanish school' lol. I look forward to seeing you work mate, you've done a great build.

If you are looking for light chips and the like then try the ak light chipping fluid. You have more control with this than the hsp. With hsp you would end up taking off more than you want and I find the ak chipping better

Again, there is no doubt the skills of Mig and some of the others. I just feel some of the effects are overdone.
As to the subject at hand, one person stated the hairspray method shoudl NOT be used for this. He wrote

[NO]If the objective is to paint it as it is shown in the photo. You can do some chipping and wear effects by other methods much easier than using hairspray in this case.
I am wary of buying some of these products (such as filters and washes) when one can easily make your own using artists colors.
The light chipping fluid might be a good idea. Do you put this on on areas you want to chip. For me that would be edges of the cupola and turrent, and maybe ledges of the hull.

Yup you spray it through the AB on the areas you want it to look worn, let it dry (10, 15 mins) then your top coat (in your case white) get an old brush (or a stiff brush depending on how 'worn' you want it) dampen it with water and hey presto chipped paint (tamiya acrylics seem to wirk the best) Clear coat, wash filter whatever. Simples

I am not entirely convinced this guy is not just packaging materials that can be readily made the old whale (eg washes and filters), but I think it may be worthwhile here, provided others vouch for this.
I am thinking about what's on the line with this. I had to buy two kits (one dml the other cyberhobby), voyager pe, friuls, and tiger model designs mantlet and smine launchers. Then there is the time, sweat and heartache incurred as I have toiled over this. I probably even bled into it when cutting my thumb with my exacto. I started this kit over Thanksgiving weekened, worked on it slowly over the weeend, maybe 20 minutes or so before bed. Substantial construction was completed in early March I believe, but there were smalll nagging steps that kept it on the workbench until the end of last month.
Way too much time and money has been invested in this to tae the risk of cluster***** it now. So I will probably pick it up since people seem to vouch for it---that its not just hairspray with a different label

Its your model, don't let anyone force you into doing something you don't want to do. But I can say with experience on many kits using Ak Interactive products I havnt been let down once. The chipping is great. Period. Havnt you noticed other brands are copying them? Mig productions have just launched there own chipping fluid so have Vallejo. Surely if it didn't work others wouldn't copy it. And so what if it's just re-bottled hairspray? It's been painstakingly tested to just the right mixture to save you messin up you model. I'd say take the plunge, plus the bottle will last you ages.

Hey McK,

This little kitty kat is Kick A and I'm looking forward to seeing more of this outstanding build! :D I'm coming a bit late to the party and was going to drop some inspiring words and wisdom (both of which are limited, in my case ::)) but everything has already been said. So I'll Just leave my four little rules of modeling that I follow here on the door step.

Number Four: Accuracy Is Overrated, If It Gets In The Way Of All The Other Rules.

Number Three: Build For Yourself. You Are The Only One That Needs To Be Happy With The Results.

Number Two: Challenge Yourself A Little With Every New Project, But Keep Realistic Goals. Don’t Over Think Your Current Model Build.

Number One:Keep The Building Fun. This Is Only A Hobby After All, So Relax and enjoy it! ;D

merseajohn said:
Its your model, don't let anyone force you into doing something you don't want to do. But I can say with experience on many kits using Ak Interactive products I havnt been let down once. The chipping is great. Period. Havnt you noticed other brands are copying them? Mig productions have just launched there own chipping fluid so have Vallejo. Surely if it didn't work others wouldn't copy it. And so what if it's just re-bottled hairspray? It's been painstakingly tested to just the right mixture to save you messin up you model. I'd say take the plunge, plus the bottle will last you ages.

Getting it now--as for chipping and handpainting tools other detials I am partial to Vallejo.

Thanks. A mentor informed that the tool box is not level, so I had to readjust that. Not sure how these things escape my eyes. Guess its like proofreading--I spot mistaes and typos in others' writing, but after a while my eyes play tricks.
He also thinks the side skirts do not look good, as they are not uniform on the left side (notably) second from left. So I am going to try and fix that.

just to not you can also brush on the AK chipping Fluids.

thats the one, When you spray it on add 1 or 2 drops of water to it as it sprays better.

DAVID,

Th Tiggy is lookin PHAT !! Very clean build Brotha' !! \m/

I too highly recommend th AK Chipping FX ! I love th stuff. ** SPUD - Thanx for th tip on adding some H2O . Never thought about that!!

DAVID - One thing that I have picked up on using the Chipping FX - It's better to work in layers ! (Use Tamiya paint for Your "chipped" paint) You'd be surprised at th depth that it can add !! Sealing each layer with 2 thin coats of Dul-Cote will protect th layers under neath. I tired this layer method on a Kubel ( She is saverly weather beaten considering th weather that She has seen ), Also layering in some streaking FX , I was rather impressed with th outcome. Then I had to go & Splatter it with "mud" ;D

DSC08894.jpg

DSC08899.jpg
http://www.scalemodeladdict.com/index.php/topic,3997.0.html

I'm lookin forward to th Not so worn look of this Tiger !!

Keep on Rockin' that Tiger Brotha' !!

\m/

Hey Eric long time no see, that kuble looks like it hit a slurry pit or two :D

Latest posts

Back