Das Reich Tiger Kharkov

McKeever

I am a little gunshy about posting pics, in that I am not sure I have achieved the same level of proficiency of some of the masters I have admired.
The model uses a mix of parts from the Cyber Hobby Fehrmann and Dragon Initial kits. I wass able to pick up two Fehrmanns for 100 bucks, before the spike in prices seen on ebay over the past year or so. The Wittmann kit won't do because this is a January 43 Tiger, with an initial enginge hatch. The model will represent das Reich Tiger 821 at the Third Battle of Kharkov--Manstein's Backhand Blow which proved be the last victorious offensive operation of the vaunted deutsche Wehrmacht on the Eastern Front. I will paint a basecoat of XF 63 thinned approprately, with flat and clear coat to create an eggshell, along with just a couple of drops of translucent blue.
Note there are some deficits in construction. Notably the tool box, or at least the roof of the tool box is whacked. One of the hinges was damaged (half of it fell off during handling), and in the middle of the interior the seal broke, and there is a gap. It is most fortunate I can put a rolled up tarp over this portion of the box.
Second, one of the tops of the cleaning rod tow cable holders (on the left side) went missing. I only noticed this once I took pics. I have since cut and primed a replacement, which I will install prior to painting.
I have more pics of this (as well as a Stug III F8 project and a DAK IV F2). If responses are favorable, I will post more.

[attachment deleted by admin]

These parts I will paint as subassemblies. You can see the muffler from the IV 42, which I painted dark rust. I will use the hairspray effect to peel off the basecoat on the frame, then do the pigment thing.

[attachment deleted by admin]

McKeever said:
I am a little gunshy about posting pics, in that I am not sure I have achieved the same level of proficiency of some of the masters I have admired.

Don't be gun shy, post away, no one will fault you for posting photos regardless of skill level.

There's a lot of PE on that build and that stuff isn't easy to work with, the bent up tool box lid could be modeled as dented/bent etc. Those were just thin sheet metal so I'm sure they took some abuse.

Larger photos would be better though but hey, just enjoy yourself, it's a hobby.

Thats the maximum sized allowed--100kb. Happy to email the full size pics to anyone who cares to mentor.
Concernng skill level and humility, I have found, in many demanding areas of life, that a little insecurity not only pushes one to improve, but is also the tell-tale sign of proficiency. In collge wehn you take a test and are a little worried about it, that's when you do well. Similarly, as it concerns my abilities in German, I am a little self aware, yet some Germans tell me my German is better than their English. I find all too often it is the people who bander about half cocked with false security that are unaware of their vulnerabilites. Ignorance is bliss.
Concerning the model, I do notice of the side skirt panels is not even with the rest--wonder if I should adjust it.

McKeever said:
Thats the maximum sized allowed--100kb.

True, but that is also determined by the resolution of the photo, not just the dimensions. Higher resolution photos will have a larger file size, lesser resolution files can be larger dimensionally.

You could also host your photos on one of the many free hosting sites such as photobucket, image shack and a bunch of others. It would just be easier to see your work is all, no worries.

Don't be afraid, post away,Your work looks just fine to me!!!

Like Ken said. bigger pics is the only issue I see. I use photobucket, and size my pictures to 800 x 600.

Ok, Now to post the pics in the forum from photo bucket is easy. while in photobucket, hover your mouse over the tumbnail image. It will pop up a menue, go the the bottom link and click on it. This will copy the [IMG) code. once copied, past the code into the reply box when your creating a reply. The image will show up in your post.

im a fan of w/w but not the clean new look. I think the worn look has more eye candy to it, but after all this is your Tank :) do what ever makes you happy

I understand your postion. The issue however is that photographs show an almost pristine whtewash wth only a little wear. ....

Mmmm grey and gold ;D
Regarding the WW I'd like to see an 'unchipped' paint job but with grime and dirt on it still.

Some pics show some serious deterioration of the whitewash (such as Stug III F8s at Kharkov), but a lot of other vehicles look neat.
I have to say I am not a big fan of the spanish school. A lot of Mig's models look good--for abandoned vehicles It may be suitable for Russian vehicles, but even while in the throes of a desperate death stugggle the Wehrmacht was pretty disciplined about rust and maintenance. I have read threads on other forums evidencing that low level command had a bit of a fixation on ensuring that rust was non-existent.

lol have to agree with Ken there,

No one will bite your head off for painting your tiggy Fresh it will be different from what most of us do and will be nice to see a w/w that's just fresh

I own the Ak interactive dvd on winter effects. The truck shows breathtaking skill, but I don't think it is realistic, unless it has been abandoned. Reference photos rarely show that sort of wear and tear. If you consider the average lifespan of most tanks, I think less of these sorts of effects is more. I realize I am probably in the minority on this.

spud said:
lol have to agree with Ken there,

No one will bite your head off for painting your tiggy Fresh it will be different from what most of us do and will be nice to see a w/w that's just fresh

It won't quite be off the factory fresh-you can see a little grey around the cupola, turrent some of the areas. If anyone owns the book Das Reich Tigers by Federowicz you will see pics of what I mean.

Latest posts

Back