Cutting Mats

You should really be using a scissor for PE cutting. It stops the bent edges and fly away part issues. If you use a normal scissor for PE cutting instead of Xuron or Tamiya, just keep in mind the scisoor tips will dull and not cut paper very well after using them on PE, especially thicker PE frets.

I use a little candle mirror about 4"x4" for cutting masking tapes. It was only a dollar. I think you'll find that you almost never need to cut maks 12". When you do though, you can always borrow a hanging picture or a window. ;) ;D

In my experience P.E. scissors are great for cutting large pieces of PE. But I've had some bad experiences with cutting smaller pieces of P.E. with the scissors. For me the best thing I've found is putting a piece of blue masking tape on the underside of the P.E. fret (sticky side up to hold the piece) then use a brand new #11 blade to cut out.

There is a tool for every job and a bolt for every nut...

if you cut the pe an an Angle you avoid any bending, and this is from Adam Wilders DVD and yes it works ive never had a prob with it bending ever since ;)

Does this also help with the problem of the tiny spurs left over from where it attached to the fret ?

no but i can cut much close and have less to file. use a diamond file and its quick and easy

Ken Abrams said:
hooterville75 said:
When it comes to buying a self healing cutting mat.

I sayv mine monies!!1!

lol

...but seriously never had one, never will. I have a workbench whose surface I honestly couldn't really care about at all. I have a little cutting block for specific tasks:

wm3.jpg

If I was working on the family dining room table, or a surface I really needed to protect for some reason, I might see it's benefits but for me personally, it's just another thing to clutter up my work surface and that is one thing I have plenty of already.

but that's just me :p

I like this idea....is this basically a piece of cutting board like material? Would be great for PE!!

spud said:
if you cut the pe an an Angle you avoid any bending, and this is from Adam Wilders DVD and yes it works ive never had a prob with it bending ever since ;)

spud, can you elaborate on this a little? what do you mean by "cut at an angle"?

im definitely new to PE and would like to learn as much as i can about working with it

well cutting straight down bends it but if you turn the blade you wont bend it,

I haven't invested money in PE scissors yet, so I just an x-acto knife. However, I used the curved blades so I don't have to worry about breaking the tip and sending it flying.
X-Acto-Blade-Curved-Carving-Large-22-49279.jpg

thanks for the clarification spud! and thanks for the tip on blades Dusky, i may get some of those curved blades too, they may be useful!

Latest posts

Back