Cutting Balsa wood

hooterville75

What is the best type of saw to cut really thin balsa wood ? I'm trying to replicate plastic truck bed rails for my BSC entry and having a really tough time. I've been using my X-acto to cut it. It has a really small thin bottom on the end of the corners of the rails. Every time I cut those two ends the left side snaps off flush. What is the ticket to getting them cut perfectly ? Should I invest in a new saw of some sort or is there a trick or tip I'm missing to get these things cut out? Its starting to frustrate me to the point where I'm about to just use the plastic rails that make it look fake in my opinion.

I thought for a minute my Balsa wood was too thin so I got a considerably thicker piece of Balsa wood to have the same thing happen so that pretty much eliminates the original piece being too thin. Any suggestions, tips or info period on methods of how to cut this thing properly would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

You can use a set of sharp scissors, or even a box cutter to lightly score the edges. You can always cut a bit larger and sand the carefully to shape after to clean up edges.

I use a razor saw, to cut balsa across the grain, and a Nr. 2 knife blade and a straight edge, to cut along the grain. My cutting blades are all X-Acto, but any brand will do.

But you might want to consider using wooden coffee stirrers for your planks, depending on the scale. They'd already be cut to width, and you'd just have to cut to length. Most grocery stores carry them.

Hi Hooterville.

Using a new #11 Blade and a metal straight edge. score down the wood with the blade ( not cutting all the way through it and light pressure). Repeat this on several passes till you are through the wood. Cutting the full thickness on the first go will split it every time.
Use to be in RC aircraft and built my own planes and purchased bulk balsa and cut my own stock, cheaper.

Jim

And balsa WANTS to be cut with the grain.
It's the nature of the stuff to come apart that way.
You may want to consider basswood, or really thin plywood

Good call Quaralane on the basswood. I prefer basswood to balsa for fabricating, as its a tad bit denser wood and carves and cuts a lot smoother. But that's just me ;D

the Baron said:
I use a razor saw, to cut balsa across the grain, and a Nr. 2 knife blade and a straight edge, to cut along the grain. My cutting blades are all X-Acto, but any brand will do.

But you might want to consider using wooden coffee stirrers for your planks, depending on the scale. They'd already be cut to width, and you'd just have to cut to length. Most grocery stores carry them.

Im not talken the trucks bed, Im talking about rails that go on top of the sides of the bed. I havent even gotten to the truck bed strips yet ha ha. Ill try what you mentioned though. Thanks and much appreciated.

TBadger said:
You can use a set of sharp scissors, or even a box cutter to lightly score the edges. You can always cut a bit larger and sand the carefully to shape after to clean up edges.

T, Q, and Paper, thanks so much for all the tips. Ill try all the tips mentioned in order to see how I make out with the balsa wood I have first and if it doesnt work then Ill get some basswood and try that as well. Thanks so much for all the info. Very informative. Much appreciated.

A thought, you may want to try using some wood shavings that some cigar companies place in their cigar packages.
I don't know if most cigar companies do this but I do know that Cuban cigar boxes have them (don't ask me how I know about Cuban cigars ;) ).
Some of these wood shavings are about 5X7 inches and larger.

hooterville75 said:
the Baron said:

Im not talken the trucks bed, Im talking about rails that go on top of the sides of the bed. I havent even gotten to the truck bed strips yet ha ha. Ill try what you mentioned though. Thanks and much appreciated.

Even better, then, Hooter! They might be about the right scale for planks that you'd use for rails, too. Quaralane's tip is good, too, about bassword. Hobby stores and craft stores sell it (I got mine at Michael's). I got some to try using as carrier deck planking in and Luftwaffe hardstand planking. And you can find it in various widths and thicknesses. The only objection I have with it for my purpose--scale planking--is that coffee stirrers are cheaper for the amount of material you get.

Latest posts

Back