Matchbox models

pitstop25

Wayne Reed
Hi all. I would like to ask if i may? Does anyone know much about the old Match Box model kits? I have found many today many of them are of models i would like to make but i am unsure of how good they are.

Thanks Wayne.

In their day, they weren't bad kits, compared to what is being produced these days, they would be quite antiquated. However with some skill and patients, they can still be built into pretty nice models.

If you can get them cheap enough, I would say go for it.

Good info there. Well I found some on ebay going for around the £3 mark. So with what you have said i will try 1 or 2 and see how i get on.

Thanks Wayne.

I just bought a bunch of old Matchbox kits (5 for $20 CAD) at a local swap meet. Some of the Matchbox kits have been recently re-poped as Revell kits. I built a bunch of the dual and tri-colour kits as a kid, so they are a bit of a nostalgia build. I would love to get my hands on a 1:72 Matchbox CF-104.

Like Scott mentioned, they are not up to modern standards, panel lines are wide and soft, but that aside they can be a fun low stress build, if you're not AMS stressing. My main worry is the decals, in the kits I got they are very old (30 years-ish)...

Jason

I would love to get my hands on a 1:72 Matchbox CF-104.

Have one in the stash. It is re-boxed into an AMT box, but says on the side of the box "Matchbox"

Lesney AMT Corporation
Baltimore, MD

Subsidiary of Lesney Products Corporation
Moonachie, NJ

"Matchbox" and "AMT" are registered trademarks of Lesney Products & Co. Ltd.
London, England

Has an initial copy write on the box of 1975, which I assume is when it was originally released by Matchbox, and then another copy write of 1979 Lesney Products Corporation, which I assume is when this kit was produced.

Plastic inside is 2 colors, light blue for the fuselage and white for the rest. Clear canopy and display stand. Decals still very good, considering how old it is, and actually comes with both the Matchbox and AMT instructions. Don't know if it was suppose to come with both or if the previous owner just stuck the instructions from another Matchbox kit in there.

CDN markings are for 439 Squadron, as well comes with German markings FGAF Richthofen Unit.

IMG_3066-vi.jpg

IMG_3067-vi.jpg

IMG_3068-vi.jpg

IMG_3069-vi.jpg

IMG_3070-vi.jpg

IMG_3071-vi.jpg

IMG_3072-vi.jpg

IMG_3073-vi.jpg

Elm City Hobbies said:
I would love to get my hands on a 1:72 Matchbox CF-104.

IMG_3066-vi.jpg

IMG_3067-vi.jpg

IMG_3068-vi.jpg

IMG_3069-vi.jpg

IMG_3070-vi.jpg

IMG_3071-vi.jpg

IMG_3072-vi.jpg

IMG_3073-vi.jpg

That's the one. I built it when I was in grade school. Finished it in the Canadian markings, didn't paint it or anything. I think that of all the models I built as a kid that was the one I was most proud of. It got destroyed in a move. Then I started junior high, and didn't really get back into modeling again until I joined the forum here.

Here's two of the other kits I bought as nostalgia builds. I built these also as a kid. So looking forward to building the He 111 H (if the decals are still ok - in Romanian markings) and the PB4Y-2 (if I can find decals - Scott M do you know of anyone who prints decals for this kit?).

[attachment deleted by admin]

Thats some nice looking models guys thanks for shearing. I want one so bad now lol looks like my bank manager is about to flip again lol.

JMac said:
Here's two of the other kits I bought as nostalgia builds. I built these also as a kid. So looking forward to building the He 111 H (if the decals are still ok - in Romanian markings) and the PB4Y-2 (if I can find decals - Scott M do you know of anyone who prints decals for this kit?).

MMM, don't know, looked through my suppliers and the only set that came up was one from Iliad Design (CDN company at that), but they are for a PB4Y-1

A quick google search came up with a couple.

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/Scale-Master-Decals-SM-20-1-72-PB4Y-2-Consolidated-Convair-Privateer-/110981122281

Seems pricey for what you get though.

Also this set, but not sure if the company is still in business, or how old the review is:

http://modelingmadness.com/scott/decals/wd721003.htm

I have three of their 1/32 Tiger Moth kits and several of the 1/48 AD-5 Skyraiders.
The problem with these kits is that all the decals are shot.

pitstop25 said:
Could you use Micro Set Decal Setting Solution to get them to stick?
I don't think I can even get them off the paper!
They are bad. Dry, all curled up and visibly torn.
These kits are very old.
Out of the bunch I got one Tigermoth that was still wrapped in cellophane.
The decals look OK but who knows how they will react when wet.

Latest posts

Back