Sealing models with PVA Glue

CY343491

Hi,
As PVA- water mixture gives shiny and durable surface, why don't we use it for sealing after base coat, before washes and decals instead of floor wax or varnish. Do you think it is possible to spray %50-%50 mixture with airbrush? Have anyone tried that before?

Hi,
As PVA- water mixture gives shiny and durable surface, why don't we use it for sealing after base coat, before washes and decals instead of floor wax or varnish. Do you think it is possible to spray %50-%50 mixture with airbrush? Have anyone tried that before?
I have tried 50/50 PVA / water mix to spray a sand and gravel diorama base. It was ok and needed a matt coat as way to shiny. Took ages to clean down the airbrush, lot's of dry tip issues while spraying. I could have just hand painted the base with PVA and saved a load of time and grief.
Pantherman

I have tried 50/50 PVA / water mix to spray a sand and gravel diorama base. It was ok and needed a matt coat as way to shiny. Took ages to clean down the airbrush, lot's of dry tip issues while spraying. I could have just hand painted the base with PVA and saved a load of time and grief.
Pantherman
Thanks for sharing your experience with airbrushing, what do you think about using it as a varnish (gloss coat) on models? I have some cheap airbrushes which ican easily discard

Thanks for sharing your experience with airbrushing, what do you think about using it as a varnish (gloss coat) on models? I have some cheap airbrushes which ican easily discard
Think you would need to mix it really well. Biggest needle size to prevent clogging. Give it a go and let us know how you got on.

It's a a learning experience, have fun.
Pantherman

You can’t beat the well tested old Future. One product I recently discovered is Gauzy Shine Enhancer. Can be sprayed over chrome or polished aluminum Alclad without tonal changes to the metallic paint.

You can’t beat the well tested old Future. One product I recently discovered is Gauzy Shine Enhancer. Can be sprayed over chrome or polished aluminum Alclad without tonal changes to the metallic paint.
I have taken to using Ak Interactive Gauzy shine enhancer to seal layers and for under decals. It is more expensive than pledge, but the dry time is incredibly short. I have done weathering over it in 30 minutes. I have never tried it as a final coat though.

I have taken to using Ak Interactive Gauzy shine enhancer to seal layers and for under decals. It is more expensive than pledge, but the dry time is incredibly short. I have done weathering over it in 30 minutes. I have never tried it as a final coat though.
I suggest trying it out as a final gloss coat. You will love the results specially over Alclad.

I suggest trying it out as a final gloss coat. You will love the results specially over Alclad.
Unfortunately Future is soft, and has a habit of sagging on the sides, and is susceptible to some decal setting solutions.

Much better products on the market now.

Unfortunately Future is soft, and has a habit of sagging on the sides, and is susceptible to some decal setting solutions.

Much better products on the market now.
I’m referring to Gauzy Shine Enhancer over Alclad. Unlike Future that will reduce metallic reflectivity.
And regarding Future, it needs at good 3 days to cure before using any decal solution over it. Like any paint or clear, if applied too heavy it will then create runs, not so if properly applied using light coats. Have been using it for decades without any issues.

I’m referring to Gauzy Shine Enhancer over Alclad. Unlike Future that will reduce metallic reflectivity.
And regarding Future, it needs at good 3 days to cure before using any decal solution over it. Like any paint or clear, if applied too heavy it will then create runs, not so if properly applied using light coats. Have been using it for decades without any issues.

Good for you. I’d definitely wait a few hours before walking on it though.

If you apply Future and it does pool, or drip, and you don't realize it before it cures, you can use a weak ammonia solution to dissolve it again. I use window cleaner with ammonia, and soak a cotton swab in it. Then use a piece of paper towel to wick away the excess liquid, and let it cure again.

Good for you. I’d definitely wait a few hours before walking on it though.
I do not find your response amusing at all. Lots of products have multiple uses and Future is one of those. Besides decal preparation It can be used to create wet mud and water puddles in dios, tint lenses, secure pe parts. Transparency in clear parts can be improved by dipping them in it. These are just a few ideas but lots more out there.
By saying Future sags on the sides shows that you don’t know how to properly apply the product. You are using too much, something that ANY paint or clear will do.

I do not find your response amusing at all. Lots of products have multiple uses and Future is one of those. Besides decal preparation It can be used to create wet mud and water puddles in dios, tint lenses, secure pe parts. Transparency in clear parts can be improved by dipping them in it. These are just a few ideas but lots more out there.
By saying Future sags on the sides shows that you don’t know how to properly apply the product. You are using too much, something that ANY paint or clear will do.

Well too bad I guess. I have a bottle. It gets used for canopy dipping and as a thinner for Vallejo on occasion. But I use better products than floor polish for gloss clearing. I got sick of the sagging and decal solutions wrecking it (though I’ve since discovered I don’t need a gloss coat at all for THAT).

Latest posts

Back