Sprue Cutter Choices ????

hooterville75

Hey all. Up until this point Ive used my hobby knife to cut the parts off the tree. Ive been watching a bunch of this sites user videos on You Tube and notice that everyone mentions about having Sprue Cutters. I want to add this to my tool arsenal but noticed that from the videos, there is a couple of different types of sprue cutters. I believe one the blades are Straight and on some others the blades are angled. What is the difference between the two and what are the advantages one has over the other ? A brand recomendation would be appreciated as well. Thanks.

I've got an old Testors' pair that has served me faithfully for several years.
Last year, I got a set from Xuron that's REALLY sharp, and does the trick quite nicely now.

Either one would be a good buy

I've had my Xurons for nearly a decade (I think), ...many moons anyhoo and they still cut decenty. The long nose ones look nice. Bit pricey for me, but maybe when these 'can't cut it' anymore. :) The orange color of the grips also keep it from blending into the mess on the desk. :)

Cheers!

Imo the xurons a waste of money because cheap will do the same thing and last just as long if taken care of and you use it just to cut the model parts.

I have a pair of Tamiya cutters and they work great.
tamiya-sharp-pointed-side-cutter.jpg

They use a spring that isn't prone to breaking like most other sprue cutters.
SHARP-POINTED2.jpg

spud said:
Imo the xurons a waste of money because cheap will do the same thing and last just as long if taken care of and you use it just to cut the model parts.

I would beg to differ Spud....no offense dude, but frankly if all you have ever used are cheap brands, and never used a Xuron....then you really don't know what you are talking about.

I have used multiple cheap brands, and nothing stacks up to the Xuron cutters. I started out with a regular set of their 410A cutters, and used it for years, and if not for cutting some brass wire that was bigger and harder than I should have been, they would still be good, I moved on to the 2175 Pro Long Nose cutters and they are freaking awesome.

Waste of money? Nope...worth every penny

I have a pair of Xurons coming this week and I'm sure they'll be better than the "cheaper" cutters I've been using. It's in teh same vein as saying a BMW/Benz is a waste and the Reliant Robin is just as good at getting from point A to point B. :) unless you like rolling over alot during your travels ;)

lol non taken Scott, But i cant see how they are better than what i have that does the same job,

if you angle your No 11 blade to cut the brass it will do a perfect cut, i couldn't see my self paying that money when i already have blades... that's not to say there not good.

I also use those Tamiya cutters for PE. I find that the curved x-acto blades work well, too.
X-Acto-Blade-Curved-Carving-Large-22-49279_X.jpg

Spud, it's like bringing a black powder 6 shooter to a battlefield where everyone else has assault rifles and machine guns. Sure you are going to get off a few shots, and likely do some damage, but there are better ways to go about it.

Xurons just make a cleaner cut, and closer cut to the part then the knock off brands do, as well they stay sharper longer. I had a pair of no name cutters and the cutting surface was toast on them in only about a year, and it was only cutting on plastic. The same Xuron ones I used for the better part of 10yrs, and other than the nicks out of them where I was cutting on something I shouldn't have been, I would probably still be using them.

For the 410A shears, $14CDN isn't all that bad, sure you can get discount ones for $8 or so, but if you are replacing them every 1-2yrs because they don't hold their edge, then it only takes to buy 2 of them to end up spending more than a set of Xurons, which seem to never dull.

Now the 2175 Pro Long nose shears are in a class by themselves....but even at $25 are a steal. I found out first hand how sharp they really are...first day I had the set I ended up driving them through one of my hands, luckily I am right handed and it was my left hand they went through (well not through...but almost), still hurt like a biotch!

I have both of their PE shears, both work well, their Pro series PE shears are really nice, and are even more pionty, so I am extra careful with them. I don't use them all the time however.....Eduard PE, yeah for sure, but some of the newer Hobby Boss and Trumpeter kits are coming with their PE sandwiched between 2 pieces of plastic, so you can't really use the shears on the, unless of course you take both sides of the plastic off, but then that defeats the purpose of the plastic in the first place!

LOL thats one way of putting it, there aint noting wrong with having one i just cant see me buying one,

IMO, I think regardless of what brand, for safety reasons alone, modellers should get a pair. spending say $10.00 a year is better than losing an eye from a flying 50 cent knife blade that snapped off.
Also, if it leaves a chunck of the sprue gate on the peice, so be it. After all the sanding and seam filling and more sanding and such, does it really matter? I use my mostly because it's safer (for me and the part).
Just my 2 bits there. Cheers!

A pair of Xuron is in the next weeks purchases haha. Found a STEEL on them. Less them ten bucks including shipping to PA ;D Thanks for bringing these to my attention Scott. Spud, had I not found a pair of the Xuron's for the price I did, a cheap brand it would have been haha. Being on a fixed income from this stupid disability Im the cheapest guy on the planet where I can be :D I went from 68K a year to 14K a year in income in less then a year. Sucks but thanks to fine guys like yourselves I was able to find out the best on the market for a cheap price and wallaaaaa haha. Thanks again.

Spud dude, I hear ya about using things that work cause they are cheap. But you're way off here. Xuron's 2175 Pro Long nose shears versus the generic shears is like comparing a Veyron to a Le Car because they're both cars and get you from point A to B. There's a noticable difference in perfomance. ;D 8)

The BR-52 to the Bullet train.

The Mayflower to the QEII.

The Wright Flyer to the F-22.

Buck Rogers 1939 rocket to the Enterprise E.

Wait, you're a tank guy right?

A Mark I Male to an M1A2 Abrams.

;D

Latest posts

Back