Currently: 1/32 P-51D Modelart Mustang

Fruit

Hello everybody!

Orangecon 2011 is in.... about a good 4 months. I've also been itching to try Modelart's 1/32 F-15C paper model (link here - http://www.papermodels.co.il/).

This model is huge! I mean - HUGE. There are over 1000 parts, on 29 pages - 22 pages which are in color, 7 which I suppose are for joining strips and 4 of which need to be laminated as bulkheads. If one prints it straight from the printer; a lot of ink will be used no doubt. Thankfully, Modelart provides a pre-printed version for anyone worried with ink costs. As for myself, I've ordered both the F-15C and E in computer files and printed versions. I plan to keep the printed versions for future use or as a collector's item, while I print out the sheets from my new Canon printer. It's sort of like a scratch building project - hopefully that connects to some of you :). The goal? to complete the model before October 8 - probably October 1 to 6. I plan to enter this model into Orangecon 2011 (anyone in the California area I encourage you to come on down!).

Usually I would be terrified by this - just by the amount of parts. However, I remembered that this model was designed by Emil Zarkov - whose designs are synonymous with brilliant fit and excellent detail. What about accuracy? Well I know nothing about the F-15C, but I plan to research it a lot. I'm pretty sure the accuracy is spot on - but what do I know? I'm just a modeler/builder ;) From first glance at the pages, I must say I was overwhelmed, but that will go away once I start cutting the card. ;D

If everything goes great, I want to have a video capture of the project's state every day (not counting today). I believe the intro will be two parts, and after that - updates on the actual build.

As for tonight, I plan to read thoroughly through the instructions and supplemental instructions. I'll also do a bunch of research - I'll be learning a lot no doubt!

For anyone interested in checking on the video reports, here's my Youtube Channel -

http://www.youtube.com/user/Fruit2142?feature=mhee

Tomorrow, it begins! ;D (I posted this today because I'm just too excited!)

Re: 1/32 F-15C Strike Eagle Modelart

good luck with this build Fruit. Orangecon 2011, where is that going to be held?

Re: F-15C Strike Eagle Modelart

Thanks folks!

Noc5659 - Orangecon 2011 will be held in the Pavillion at the Conference Center - Cal. Sate Fullerton, Fullerton CA
800 N. State College Blvd
Fullerton, CA

If you're in the area around October 8, come on down!

Video reports are going to have to wait a while. Unfortunately, I've misplaced the charger to my video camera and will have to find it before making the video logs. Fortunately, I still have my picture taking camera and I'll be making the basic picture + text update posts. Not as fun as the latter, but sometimes you've gotta deal ;)

Intro to the project soon!

Quaralane - Me too ;D

Alrighty, I've gotten the instructions and supplementary pages printed out. All of them filled 5 folders :eek:
I've also used some adhesive spray to laminate the 20lb sheets to the heavy backing. This is the part I dislike, building the bulkheads :-\ I'm not too worried as the design comes from Dr. Zarkov, so that provides loads of relief.

Pictures of the bulkheads being built up soon! Time to cut the card ;)

Those look like some well thought out instructions

Quaralane - No kidding! There are text instructions (and I mean just gigantic blocks of text!) in one folder. In the other there are diagrams, which are just exploded views (still helpful nonetheless but nothing piece by piece). To make sure the builder gets it right, they even included supplementary instructions which include tips and potential problems. Really helpful!

Formers for the wings all cut out! Tomorrow should be real fun with the wing skinning!

Also, I'm thinking about making this thread containing a double (or triple) build - as I'm too lazy to create new threads. :p

Here's one of the builds I plan to document within this thread (P-51D Mustang) -

This was just a test build up of it, and everything fits! I plan to really start rolling out the model soon. I'm not sure which outfit and color scheme it'll have. The templates are customizable and I'm thinking about creating a Mustang that suits me rather than having an accurate color scheme. Maybe... or maybe I'll go with the ones provided ::) (So much to choose, so little time!)

dude that P-51 rocks! what scale is that?

13aceofspades13 - Technically, the model is scaled at 1:32. ;) However, I'm on the fence of scaling it down to 1:48 to fit other fighters I plan to build.

So Awesome man. You're paper models are flawless looking. Can't wait to see the f-15, my favorite aircraft of all time right there.
And speaking of P-51's..., guess what my next project is? haha.

Myke - Thank you very much, you are too kind! Truth be told, I'm fairly new to paper modeling (about 4 years) and my work is far from flawless ;D - (Lots of the others put my work to shame :-[) F-15's going to have to wait a bit, but I have a certain P-51 1/33 Halinski I plan to start in place of this.

Schweinhund227 - I would think so too! A bit different skill set than plastic modeling, but both are equally enjoyable and difficult ;D

As per the F-15, I've opted to build the F-15E first rather than the C. (I'm too chicken to tackle the avionics on the C :D). However, I'm waiting for the pre-printed version I ordered to arrive in Cali, but it's going to take about 2-3 weeks. So, in the mean time a certain person who recently modeled a superb Blackhawk (Myke) has inspired me to take up plastic modeling once again! ;D (That could be either unfortunate or fortunate for me and for others)

Be careful though, my plastic work could blind people from how bad it looks! Last time I built one was an F-14A 1/48 from Revell (Did not go well ::)) Tomorrow I'm going to head out to the local hobby shop, pick up some supplies for the two I plan to build and perhaps pick up a third kit. They say with age comes experience, and I think now that I'm a bit older (16 sounds good right?) and a tad more informed, I think I'll do alright. Thankfully there's this awesome forum called SMA that I plan to pick up techniques from. Help/critiques on these plastic models are welcome, as I plan to continue modeling in both mediums.

Alright, so while I wait for my F-15's and other goodies - I've decided to get rolling with the P-51D Mustang from Modelart.

The model can be found again, on Modelart's store front, along with many other P-51D's. For 11.50 USD, the recolor to the Sky Bouncer is great!

Best things about the kit - Well, first off is the price is just right! And after contacting the store, you can purchase a kit and recolor it to your heart's content - (for personal use and nothing more). I plan to do a few recolors and make some custom Mustang's in the future.

Anyways, here are my initial thoughts on the kit with some pictures.

113_6645.jpg

The model package - including instructions, diagrams and model parts are 20 pages. 2 pages are of text, and 6 are very detailed diagrams. 7 pages are to be printed on cardstock - (the stock suggestion is also given, I almost always work with 67lb). 2 pages house the bulkheads and another 2 pages have the joining strips. Finally, the last page is clear canopy templates.

Everything looks good on the print out side of things!

113_6646.jpg

Example of the detailed diagrams - these are/ were helpful when I was building my test of one of the Modelart Mustangs (see prior posts).

113_6647.jpg

Image of the completed kit's line art. Though I'm not an expert on the P-51D's shape, I have been looking at some diagrams of the actual D. From what I can see, the shape is pretty well kept and extremely similar. This kit does lack details, primarily that in the cockpit. No matter though, I chose this one for the fun build!

113_6648.jpg

Overview of some of the templates. Mr. Krol and Mr. Short recolored the Sky Bouncer from the original P-51D Modelart kit, and I have to say they did a good job. Apparently on the original some of the markings were off, and they did a superb job of fixing it.

Initial thoughts - For 11.50 USD, this kit is superb! One has the option of scaling the kit from 1/32 to 1/48, or 1/72, or go even smaller! Technically, the model can be scaled to any scale - just a matter of figuring out how much space you have to display ;) The detail is exceptional, although lacking in the cockpit. The graphics are well done, and the actual shape resemblance is very accurate. In fact, you can even recolor the parts to fit your favorite Mustang group or custom ones. I'd like to echo, that Dr. Zarkov's designs sport perfect fit, and this is no exception. I predict this build will be a quick build, and will be pretty fun!

I should have video logs of this soon - if all goes well ;D

*For the keen of eye, in the first picture there's some evidence of my attempt at plastic modeling. The model in question is the Revell F-14A Tomcat 1/48. I tried it twice when I was 8 and failed miserably both times. Now that I know better, hopefully, I'm going to give it another shot!

Latest posts

Back