Contest Chatter

I got a question for everyone here: does size really matter?( scale of the model ofc ;D)

Because I was thinking about making a model of the Tirpitz and there is 2 kit I am looking at, the 1/700 from Dragon and the 1/350 from Revell.

What does everyone usualy prefer to see big things or it doesnt matter as long as it look good?

Hey Scott,
I am formulating my concept for one of this year's builds.
However, it will be mostly scratched/kit-bashed, and I want to throw it on a small wooden plaque/base, maybe with a little terrain on it. Kind of like this one,

http://www.scalemodeladdict.com/index.php/topic,8547.0.html

DavionAlex's Battlesuit STORMRIDER 1/35

I am using his as an example of what I was sort of thinking for a stand. I think you may have said last year, that if you add a standing figure, then it becomes a dio. If that's the case, I will just have the pilot/driver.
:)

Scott Girvan said:
Cool! I'd like to buy that one sometime.

I did an Ecto-1A a long time ago... this one I've been debating about for awhile now. I think I'll have to put some lights in it of course! :)

I want to join too but I'm not sure if gundam is appreciated :(. Never done anything but gundam model. This is going to be my 2nd customized kit and i want to take part in a competition to motivate myself.

I moved to Amrica about 6 months ago and i just started to pick up on this hobby again. Tools and kits should be arriveed on March 1st :D

ptrantrian said:
I want to join too but I'm not sure if gundam is appreciated :(. Never done anything but gundam model. This is going to be my 2nd customized kit and i want to take part in a competition to motivate myself.

I moved to Amrica about 6 months ago and i just started to pick up on this hobby again. Tools and kits should be arriveed on March 1st :D

Gundam would go in the Sci-Fi category.

Still got a few decisions to make, only one kit is a definite. The sure thing will be a Tamiya Corsair done in RN FAA markings. Besides that I cant decide on wether I should attempt 2 other builds or just one more, even the subject matter has me flip-flopping. The second build will either be a 1/35 Geschutzwagen Tiger fur 17cm Kanone, or a US Army M1 Abrams all accesorized for a jaunt through European terrain. If I have time and attempt a 3rd build, it would be an automotive build... 2011 "Fender American Special" Camaro or some hot Italian red head. ;D

Even thou it was in a Scifi movie, I think it would probably fit best in Auto seeing as it was actually built in real life... I think the same can be said for any of the scifi autos like the batmobile, kitt, delorean, etc.

I just wanted to say how much i am looking forward to the competion again this year, i will not be entering but as someone who has been a keen spectator and voter in the past, i would just like to make a statement and make an observation that I have had.

Think about the pictures of your contest entry you submit for judging.

A great model could be overlooked because of a bad set of photographs, in my opinion .

The clearer you can make your finished build pictures, the better you will be able to highlight your details, your weathering, your paint and your overall build quality.

Out of focused, over or underexposed or just badly lit pictures can affect how the voter views them.

Bad photo's could mean your top quality build is ignored when it comes to voting, it won't matter about all the time and effort you've put in if we, the voter, can't see it in the pictures.

You will of worked to hard to have your build ignored because you submitted 3 grainy, out of focus, dark pictures taken with an old cell phone camera.

So please take your time and get the best pictures you possibly can, borrow a good camera if possible, you owe it to yourself to show all the hard work you put into the finished build.

Good luck everyone, please post lots of WIP pictures.

Gag

Excellent advice, Gag.
It'd be one thing if we could actually be there to see the models, but here, the presentation is truly everything.

LrdSatyr8 - at the end of the day you would have the option to choose which category you want to compete in.

Good point Gag. I plan to do a quick video on photos. I get decent photos of my builds and use very basic gear...just a cheap camera.

Well said Gag, take your pics on a plain background (curve a sheet of thin card for example), get your model in good lighting (get some daylight bulbs) take the photo at the highest res with a camera on a tri pod (or resting on some books for example) have it on timer mode if possible to avoid any shaky photos. And take tons of pics ;D

Another good tip to help bring out all the details, is make yourself a stand or a small table with a plain colored backdrop and take it all outside on a clear sunny day. Instead of worrying about buying special bulbs, use the advantage of the sun to do your lighting for you. You'd be surprised how many cameras default settings are for daylight. Using them outside in the actual sunlight saves money and time and will produce excellent results because it will be natural lighting. Make sure the sun is over to the side and not directly on top or in front of the model. Another good tip is ge a piece of regular printer paper and use it as a reflector to add a little light into dark shadows to bring out all the details. You'd be surprised what a little inginuity can do to acheive really good photos.

Latest posts

Back