Contest Chatter

Regarding the photo thing, photography is my other addictive hobby and I want to add that the best investment for good photos is a tripod, even a cheap one will do. It gets your hands off the camera and forces you to take your time to set up the shot. The more you have to look at the frame before clicking the shutter, the better the photo will be. A point and shoot on a tripod trumps a dslr that is hand held, especially in low light. Trust me on this.

Don't try to focus too close, either. Check your shot to make sure it's nice and sharp. If not, back up and shoot it again. There are a lot of computer apps for photo editing that will let you crop down easily. PhotoShop Elements comes to mind and runs on both Mac and Windows systems.

Dale
G/T engineering
(gum and tape)
President and CEO

Oh I agree Dale... and another good tip I've discovered is if your camera has a white balance setting, use it. The reason why... depending on the light you use for your shot can make or break your photos color balance. If you're using just standard light bulbs, they will dull your colors on your model and makes them look all yellowy. Really is pronounced when dealing with blues and reds, they come out looking brown and greenish. So, in order to set the white balance on your camera (if you have that option, not all digitals do), take a sheet of plain printer paper and place it in the area your wish to film your model. Then with the camera zoomed out completely, move in close and fill your view finder with as much of the paper as possible without losing focus. Then take a picture (or set your balance). This will tell your camera that this is a solid block of white that your dealing with and to adjust all color accordingly in the remaining photos you take in that session. Some cameras will default back to original settings if you turn off the camera, so you would have to do this every time you turn your camera back on, but it will definitely make your colors stand out the way you intended them too. Hope this little tip[ helps! :)

oh neat. i do mostly out door photography and i struggle with small stuff more often than not its a hit and miss. thanks for that link

Ive Decided on my Kit :D and im really looking forward to digging in but as ive sad it wont be on Day 1

Really looking forward to this years contest, I've got my kit picked out. I was disappointed about not finishing last year, so this year my selection was based on keeping it manageable.

JMac said:
Really looking forward to this years contest, I've got my kit picked out. I was disappointed about not finishing last year, so this year my selection was based on keeping it manageable.

That is what I am doing....

Just got my body kit in the mail from Connecticut. I opened it and it was packed with a section of newspaper that read :

Woman, child escape out-of-control vehicle

How did they know???

Also had an ad for a Clinical Psychotherapist specializing in anxiety, addiction and adjustment. Excuse me, gotta go to the lab and plan bashing a '56 T-Bird, '70 Mustang and '41 Willys into one mean out-of-control vehicle ;D

Dale

G/T Engineering

Seems that everbody has their mind pretty much made up. I am still stuck with about 10 different choices. Tic-toc. man - I gotta make up my mind...

<Guido

Major bummer for me... and anybody else waiting for a shipment from Spruebrothers.com.

Snow has hit the area hard and they have been closed for a few days. I'm waiting on a set of tracks for my Bradley and the PE for my Longbow... Guess I'm going to be a few days late to the party.

Oh Very Nice.

Something Big that i got for Christmas of my GF Christmas before last, I will be starting it on the 1st as im missing some Etch from my T62 and that is now being replaced by ETmodel so while that's on hold ill drive on with the comp build. and by the sounds of it i may need 3 months to build and weather it....

I will be building a 1:39 scale Wright Flyer "First Powered Flight" model by Revell. It is good that the rules allow only the model in a category; this kit design is from 1958 and from the shape of it I will be challenged to complete it. After reading forums and watching you tube videos I have been looking the model over for things that others point out (flash, injector pin marks, parts that may not align, etc.). I picked a tough kit to start with after a 30 year break! :eek:

A quick question: Will there be a certain place that we will make work-in-progress threads? I plan to do video clips on a you tube channel I created and I am not sure where I would post such a thread with links at?

Les said:
A quick question: Will there be a certain place that we will make work-in-progress threads? I plan to do video clips on a you tube channel I created and I am not sure where I would post such a thread with links at?
You'll be able to post the threads here under the contest section.
A lot of us do WIP threads for the contest

spud said:
Oh Very Nice.

Something Big that i got for Christmas of my GF Christmas before last, I will be starting it on the 1st as im missing some Etch from my T62 and that is now being replaced by ETmodel so while that's on hold ill drive on with the comp build. and by the sounds of it i may need 3 months to build and weather it....

I've got an idea what your building spud but I won't say lol ;)

Latest posts

Back