COMPLETE - Freedom - Meng Pickup Dio

Re: Freedom - Meng Pickup Dio

its not that noticble mabe tigten a bit more till you are happy but it is a neat idea

Scott Girvan said:
Thanks Norm. Epic? Well if I finish it that would be epic. LOL.

+++
Tire Bulge
I picked up some 1/72 threaded bolts, washers and nuts from the local HO Railroad shop. Drilled out the rim and tire, insert the bolt, washer and tighten the nut. Instant bulge.

Do you think it's worth it? Visible difference?

3747.jpg

3748.jpg

3749.jpg

Now that is a darn smart idea. I love it. BTW, this build is just awesome.

Scott Girvan said:
LOL. I've made that type more than twice.

+++

Minor update tonight. Our Freedom Fighter Friends kitbashed another Hilux enroute. Not sure if you can see it, but there's a layer or grey (primer we'll call it) and then white. Lots of AK Fluid between each layer. Going for...depth.

3746.jpg

Really great effect. I love weathering like this. You've nailed it. :)

Thanks! Great idea: true. My idea: false.

I'm a tad stubborn or persistent:

DIY Roof Rack #3
My third attempt and modeling a home made (by the rebels) roof rack. This time using .040" (1mm) styrene. That scales to 1.4" or so. Angle anchors are .060 styrene.

Still needs a bit of clean up.

3750.jpg

3751.jpg

3752.jpg

i like this roof rack scott Defo better than teh first ;D

Thanks Spud. I think this one is a keeper. At under 1.5" tubing it's totally material they could have used. Looking at it, I could have maybe made it bigger, but that works for me.

Sure wish I had some PE tie down straps.

They use what they find! or Commandeer from the infidels! Use your magic!

It worked for you so far! Very well I might add! LOL

Outstanding show Scott!!! Rack is sweet!!! Nice job!!

Nice paintwork on the "terrorist Hoopty". Weathering looks terrific. 3rd gen. roof rack looks
much better. Keep on rolling with the build.
See ya' in the forum. Bill

Thanks guys.! So....everyone is cool with that rack? LOL. I only ask to be sure scale is good. I have strip one step smaller and could redo it again pretty easily after 3 tries.

Up next...a DIY roll cage.

ECH - yup, them the ones. I gotta check my paypal...just might get them. They look awesome. I need a few sand sticks and thin glue too.

BTW: Feel free to buy some Tshirts and Calendars guys! :)

lol nice plug ;D i would rather donate so next time i have some mula i will do just that.

thanks Q and thanks for the 'homemade rack' idea too.

Rack looks good, if you really wanted to dress it up...you could add some weld beads to the seams. Something homemade like that would like be welded together as opposed to bolted (I would think anyway), and it would give some extra detail to it that would stand out with drybrushing/weathering!

Thanks ECH. Weld beads.. could happen. I'll have to see how my eyes are holding up.

+++

The kit comes with a 'standard' roll cage. Cool and all but I want to make this one my own. Here's a DIY 'cage'. I can now hang stuff off the sides and mount the gun to the top (like with the standard roll cage). Just makes this more my own and opens up some options. The chopper is a great tool btw.

3755.jpg

3756.jpg

3757.jpg

3758.jpg

Another minor update. Painted the box and passenger door. That's it for now...maybe more later tonight.

3759.jpg

3760.jpg

Liking the progress here.
That rack looks like the ones we have on our parts trucks at work. Nice job

Looking really sweet there Scott!!! Got a great weathered desert feel to this coming down!! ;)

Got an AMT '50 Chev PU on the go for the CAMS theme....almost to the point where I have to decide which direction to go in.

Shiny and new, or rusted up and crappy.

The more I look at this thread, the more I am leaning to the later. Got some great ref. pics on the web of the same truck in various states of rustiness including engine shots.

The Meng trucks don't come with an engine do they? Still waiting on mine for the shop to arrive. Frustrating!!!!

Latest posts

Back