COMPLETE - Freedom - Meng Pickup Dio

Re: Freedom - Meng Pickup Dio

Great day! This afternoon I settled in painting.

The Interior
Pretty straight ahead with this. Primer and then a couple shades of grey and some brushed black for smaller areas. I tried not to allow full coverage anywhere and create some subtle shadows in the upholstery. This is yet to be weathered.

3731.jpg

The Exterior
First, primer and then a basecoat of Vallejo Model Air Burnt Umber and Rust. Once this dried I sponged on several rust tones.

In the next session this will all get covered in AK Chipping Fluid and then sprayed either Metallic Blue or Red...not sure yet, but leaning towards blue. This isn't going to be a rust bucket but I will chip here and there. By rusting out the entire truck I leave my chipping options open. I also added dents to a couple spots by first heating the plastic and then using a stir stick to dent the truck. I'll be sure to chip those areas a bit more than the rest.

3732.jpg

All the other parts of this build are also primered and items such as bumpers, roll bar, rims etc... have also been sponged.

Looking cool Brotha'!!! Chip that thing!!!!!! ;)

thats looking real good scott

Thanks guys. This is fun and moving along nice and quick.

Back to that roof rack for a sec. Q posted a good idea...the fact that it could be a homemade rack, not aftermarket. Makes sense given the conflict and all.

Now I don't intend to use that wonk rack...but I do have some L angle iron that's to scale. What about a real homemade rack using that stuff? Basically a couple running the length of the hood and then other's the width...just giving these guys something to strap cargo too. Maybe welded to the roof or U Bolts??

In my mind this truck is a supply truck, carrying all those coolers and stuff...food for themselves and others in the campaign. Would make sense that they have the room on the roof to tie down stuff, plus this kit has 2 spare tires and man, I'd love to throw a spare on the roof.

Thoughts?

Just Googled some evidence. Square tubing...got that and with the Chopper I could cut the 45 corners. Then use the angle iron for 'clamps' some small rod or stretched sprue for the bolt heads....

attachment.jpg

49213922.jpg

Nice to see this one on the bench Scott ,it looks a nice kit and you've done a great job so far :) The interior is looking good ,and I look forward to the body getting the treatment ;D ...Sweet .

Chris.

that would do the job nicly scott

I think so too.

Here's a try. Using 1.5mm tubing which works out to 2 scale inches. I'm sure 2" square tubing is OK, but still seems a bit large to me.

Thoughts??

3733.jpg

3734.jpg

i think yer right scott does look a little large mabe try smaller gauge

Yeah. Too big. I agree.

I don't have any evergreen on hand that's smaller. I'd think if I can get it to scale 1" then it would be ok. That would mean .03" stock. I might be able to rip some from sheet stock.

Not gonna put much more time into this. That one above was about 1/2hour at noon. Maybe one more go at it and that's it.

Hey, Scott?
At that scale, you might consider trying to use paper clips to simulate the tubing they'd use.
Just a thought

I thought of that Q, but gonna be a pain trying to glue it up...

At least with styrene I can move stuff a bit as it sets.

Back to fun!

First a coat of AK Chipping Fluid and then black, flat aluminum (rims) or silver chrome. Then copious amounts of scrubbing with a damp short bristle brush.

There is a looooooong way to go on these parts. Tons of grime, dust, more dust, dirt, oil, well let's say it's been a while since this truck got washed.

Here's some pics of tonight's efforts.

3735.jpg

3736.jpg

3737.jpg

3738.jpg

Ok that was interesting.

So I spray some AK ChipFluid, then blue and then I'm like..."I should Satin Coat this now so the chips will be matte". So I do that...but using Matte Varnish. Read the bottle dufas.

So I satin over that and then chip. The latex properties of the satin varnish don't chip all the best, more like pulling of a hollywood latex mask... I kept the chips to a minimum and plan to paint the hood and driver's door white once this cures.

3739.jpg

3740.jpg

3741.jpg

No too shabby Scott!!!

Am I correct in reading you chose to spray a clear coat over your chipping coat? that I have not done yet! ::)

Either way, keep it rolling!!! That rusting is looking smart buddy!!! ;D

Thanks Todd. No I sprayed chip fluid>blue>matte (duh) > satin...

The goal was to have a satin finish on the blue. I was thinking that the satin should be applied before chipping the blue. Not so sure about that. For the rest I'll chip the blue then shoot the satin...I think.

Advice is welcomed.

Might switch to a satin or glossy blue paint? That way you have the shine or somewhat when your done chipping.

PM sent BTW....

Just for fun....

Toyota Hilux

That's insane! What a piece of machinery.

++

As far as switching to a gloss or satin paint...bit late for that now aint it? I'll topcoat this to get a satin finish. Gonna be lots of filters and such soon.

Very timely subject, considering the state of affairs in the world. Excellent job and progress.
Looking forward to your next update. Congrats. Bill

Latest posts

Back