Clear coats.

Airmedical

O.k. I will be finishing up a few models (helicopters) soon and will be applying clear coats on them to seal the decals and give a nice finish.
I will be doing this for the first time. I have been given some pointers before but want to get a bigger picture.

-I will be using Testors products as they are the esiest to obtain in my area. (Flat, Gloss and Satin)
I use Testors Standard/ModelMaster and Tamiya enamels.

-Concern #1. Applying a coat that will not attack the decaling.

-Concern #2. Applying coats sufficiantly not to over coat. How many coats will it actualy take and the waiting between coats?

-Does it really matter weather it comes from the can or bottle via. airbrush?

Thanks in advance
John

Honestly....go to your local supermarket and pick up a bottle of Future floor wax for your gloss coat needs (I know, strange coming from someone in the hobby business telling you to go buy a product elsewhere).

Use the future under and over your decals, and then whatever you want for a finish coat (flat, satin, ect)

Only downside of Future, is you have to airbrush it vs. from a spray can like the Testors stuff. Upside, it is cheaper, and you have better control with your airbrush, as well as not wasting most of the product in the spray can.

As far as how many coats....depends on how heavy you put it on. If you just want to seal in the decals, and putting a subsequent flat/satin coat on over top, you can get away with a couple of light future coats. The Gloss of the future also allows you to put a wash in the panel lines, and the capillary action will draw the wash along the lines making it easier and so you don't get tide marks from your washes. Once your washes are on, hit it with a flat, then your weathering powders for exhaust stains, etc, if you are going that route. The gloss surface aides in the wash flowing, then the flat surface aides in keeping the weathering powders in place.

Personally I use the Vallejo line....great matt coat they have, but it is whatever is available in your area.

Like Scott said Future works well for gloss coat. It's now called "Pledge with Future Shine". If you can't find that I would suggest (since you're using Testors products) to get a spray can of gloss coat. This stuff works well for me. For a flat finish I would highly recommend a spray can of Testors Dull Coat. There is a bottle of dull coat lacquer, but I've found that if you brush it on it eats enamel underneath it even if it is dry, which makes sense since I have since found out lacquers eat enamels ::). However, the stuff in the spray can works excellent and it's hard to overcoat something with it. Give it one coat at first, and if you dont like it, give it another

I use a few different products.

Gloss: Future, Testors Gloss coat from the spray can, but more recently Ive been using Vallejo Satin Varnish
Flat: Testors Flat Acryl, Vallejo Flat, Testors MM Flat Laquer (I use this under enamels or Acrylics instead of hairspray for that "chipping" effect) or I'll heavily thin the top coat color and spray it from far away, makes a super flat finish.

Airbrush gives you more control, but spray cans come in very handy and I don't hesitate to use them.

As for over and under decals. I always used future in the past, but after trying Vallejo Satin Varnish I'm probably going to move towards that product. It's takes less coats to get a good finish. I always feel like I have to put on two or three coats of Future to get a good smooth decaling surface.

I picked up some future over the weekend. So I'm going to do some test sprays first.
What pressures to you guys spray? I usually spray at 30-45 psi. Of course, it depends what I'm doing.
Since it's pretty thin to begin with, you spray right from the container?

Thanks
John

Yep. If you're going to spray it use it straight out of the bottle. Actually, you use it straight out of the bottle if you're brushing or dipping too. I found that I get a smoother surface by brushing it. Spraying it usually gives me a pebbled surface.

ShutterAce said:
Yep. If you're going to spray it use it straight out of the bottle. Actually, you use it straight out of the bottle if you're brushing or dipping too. I found that I get a smoother surface by brushing it. Spraying it usually gives me a pebbled surface.

really? O.k. Thanks.

Latest posts

Back