BSG-47 Battlestar Solaria

Thanks for watching, guys.
Only reason it's taking so long is the cure time for the Aves, otherwise I could have probably knocked this part out in a couple of nights.

@SLW45,
No difference between the two, other than the color.
Truth be told, I think I'd ordered the natural, but got shipped the blue by mistake. No biggie, though, as it lets me easily see where I've been

As always, Q, I learn so much from you. This is a new technique to me so I am eager to see how it comes out.

Looking good! I can't wait to see her in primer so that detail you are adding comes out.

Thanks, guys.

Grendels,
She's still a ways from primer, as I still have to rig the lights up inside her.
But, I'm happy with how she's coming

Small update on the build.
Using Aves Epoxie Sculpt, I sculpted the upper parts of the secondary struts for Solaria's fixed-position flight pods.
I'll go in and do the bottom portions once I have the pods assembled.
The ends aren't all the same length, but that won't matter once I insert them into the soon-to-be-filled pod bays
bsg-47-solaria-11.jpg

Learning a lesson from the my Galactica build, I went ahead and sprayed the insides of the parts that will hold lights with a coat of flat black
I have also drilled the holes for the wiring on most of the parts.
bsg-47-solaria-12.jpg

Follwing that being dry, I hit the parts with a coat of flat white to aid in reflecting the light inside the ship
bsg-47-solaria-13.jpg

I assembled the lower parts of the flight pods, as well as drilling the holes for the windows in the middle section of the "head."
bsg-47-solaria-14.jpg

Using a scan of the kit decals, I altered the numbers to reflect the BS-47.
I also printed off a Solaria crest to use on the base
bsg-47-solaria-15.jpg

Youtube link:
BSG-47 Battlestar Solaria-Part 4-Plating, Mods, and Bits

Getting closer to the primer stage. Looks like you will be putting her together soon.

Superb progress Q. Great work on those decals, the Solaria crest looks very nice.

Excellent job, Q!
Can't wait to see this babe fitted!
Well, can't actually wait to see her lighted as well :)

Thanks, guys.
Progress is coming, but slowly.

(I really need to spend less time playing Old Republic)

Here's the current progress on the build.
Got the flight decks decalled, and the photoetch girders bent to the proper shapes.
The girders will be attached with superglue
bsg-47-solaria-16.jpg

With the flight pods now assembled, I went in and added the bottoms to the auxilliary struts with Aves
bsg-47-solaria-17.jpg

Green LEDs being put into place for the lights in the four engine pods
bsg-47-solaria-18.jpg

Red LEDs being put into place for the flight pods
bsg-47-solaria-19.jpg

Youtube link:
BSG-47 Battlestar Solaria-Part 5-Wiring and More

Wow photo etch, aves, LED's! Your going all out, keep up the great work and vids buddy.

I must concur!
You're giving the entire treatment. :)
And it's really looking good. Those landing bays look great so far. :)
;D

Looking great Q!

I know what you mean about playing video games, I'm modding one!!! Takes alot of my free time away from the modeling.

--smiles--
Thanks, guys.
With luck, I'll have another update by tomorrow, or so

Excellent work so far Q! I always enjoy the BSG builds. Good Stuff!!!

--smiles--
Thanks for watching all of this, guys.

Fairly major update time here.
The home stretch is in sight.

Began the process of filling the flight pod bays by mixing up some two part resin and pouring it into the parts
bsg-47-solaria-20.jpg

Got the main engines glued into place, and the wires run into the main hull
bsg-47-solaria-21.jpg

A look inside the flight pods with the lights on
bsg-47-solaria-22.jpg
bsg-47-solaria-23.jpg

Final wiring connectioons are made
bsg-47-solaria-24.jpg

Major construction is now complete, although she's not permanently on the base as yet.
The base consists of a piece of rather interestingly shaped packing material with a brass tube inserted through it.
Wooden spacers have been glued into place along the edges to help make the base sturdier and to raise it up to make room for the power pack to fit underneath it.
The kit base has had the hole plugged with Aves, and the "Galactica" lettering covered as well.
bsg-47-solaria-25.jpg
bsg-47-solaria-26.jpg

Youtube link:
BSG-47 Battlestar Solaria-Part 6-Lights and Construction

Latest posts

Back