BIG RIG RAT

I like the one door idea.

I think I'd paint the drivers Adam, simply because the passenger will have the big plate o' rust.

Plus I have some large Peterbilt logo decals (originally for the mud flaps.) and they would fit exactly where that patch is...so that door wouldn't have the logo on it.

Red it is. Faded in the center a bit...chipped at the edge of bit. Should pop nicely.

Scott Girvan said:
I like the one door idea.

I think I'd paint the drivers Adam, simply because the passenger will have the big plate o' rust.

Plus I have some large Peterbilt logo decals (originally for the mud flaps.) and they would fit exactly where that patch is...so that door wouldn't have the logo on it.

Red it is. Faded in the center a bit...chipped at the edge of bit. Should pop nicely.

Very sound reasoning there. I like the flat red look too, should pull it all together w/ the wheels etc.

I like the direction you are going with this build, but I want to ask where you want it to end up.

In your most recent video you seem to want to preserve a sheen or gloss in the worn metal like the reference photo rat rod and the one in the Leno video posted in this thread, but beaters don't shine. Those two rats are really finely crafted high end hot rods with well detailed and preserved finishes. They have a look that is more designed than anything else. It didn't just happen, even though it's based on natural processes.

So, do you want a Big Rig Rat Rod or a Junk Yard Dog? Your original project title says to go for a preserved destroyed look, but you also seem to like the true rusted to the bone look. Take your pick and apply your modeling skills to bring this thing to life!

Dale

Hey Dale.

I'm going for a ratty look but keep in mind this body isn't steel so it's not going to rust per normal. The frame will be rusty but items such as the grill will be somewhat similar to the cab.

In the end, a beater - but trying to age the metal true to how it would age but with a designed look though as opposed to total JYD.

Clear as mud eh?

Scott Girvan said:
Hey Dale.

I'm going for a ratty look but keep in mind this body isn't steel so it's not going to rust per normal. The frame will be rusty but items such as the grill will be somewhat similar to the cab.

In the end, a beater - but trying to age the metal true to how it would age but with a designed look though as opposed to total JYD.

Clear as mud eh?

Guzuntite! ;-)

adampolo13 said:
Guzuntite! ;-)
And Bless You, too, My Son!...

Scott: I always find it interesting how we so often design our creations to look like something we found when the plastic and paint we work with give us free reign to create as we wish.

Reminds me of this bumper sticker I used to have: Reality is a Crutch for Those of us Unable to Handle Science Fiction

Free Your Mind!!!

Dale

Thanks Dale...I think.

I did free my mind once but it ended up straight back in prison.

And to think an Irish man hangs out at a Canadian website and ends up speaking American.

lol.

No worries. Thanks Cash and crew.

Tried my hand a 'rainbow' stained stainless steel welding. ...you kinda see the shades of blue, red, gold etc... in this shot. Looking at this now, I probably should have feathered a straight aluminum color under the 'edge burn' first as someone welding this would have grinded it down first. My feathered edge is a bit wide too...

4455.jpg

Started rusting the passenger panel...might do something else with this, not sure.
4456.jpg

Painted, chipped and decaled the drivers' door. Still have to chip over the decal.
4457.jpg

It all needs washes, paint the window seals black etc...

Still loads to paint.

It's looking good! the only thing is the Peterbilt decal looks to "new" in relation with the door..

Latest posts

Back