BIG RIG RAT

Thanks for following along gents.

Wow, what a challenge trying to squeeze some bench time out of this weekend. I have however found a bit of time to primer some parts and start to paint the cab.

This was primer, rattle can gloss black, a variety of metalizers and then many (4) layers of chipping fluid and shades of Tamiya Grey. I'm going to corroded aluminum - not chipped paint.

Gonna to add a filter or two and some washes next. Might sponge more fine details around the rocker panels as well. There are many subtle variations going on...and I would need to spend more time setting up the lighting to capture them.

4448.jpg

4449.jpg

Here's the reference I've been working off of:
Viva_Las_Vegas_2012-49-chopped-bare-metal-Ford-truck.jpg

Thanks guys. It's fun...and nerve racking a bit. Total experiment.

I went ahead and added a few layers of grey/white...to try and better simulate corrosion. Didn't quite nail it and feel I should add some darker greys over some of this. Tomorrow...it's late.

Feel free to offer suggestions. Like I said, total experiment.

4450.jpg

4451.jpg

4452.jpg

This panel was a cover up for a mistake. I tried to dremel a dent and it looked bad...so I'll paint this as though it was a steel patch - therefore some rust tones. ;) - I should've added some rivets though...since I'm going to mask it off and repaint I can still add them.

4453.jpg

4454.jpg

Love it Scott!!! The depth is really showing. I would say you were spot on.

PM sliding your way!! ;D

Oh yes ;D Those tones /shades look perrfick Scott ,think you hit the nail square on the head with this ;D The rusty patch on the door will look good too .

Chris.

It does look really good Scott. It is quite close to your 1:1 example. I don't think much more is needed IMO.

Thanks guys. It's getting there - Like you say Matt - knowing when to stop is tough.

Todd had PMed a few corroded alloy pics, and I've been trying to get this look:

2013-03-16

IMG_14151.jpg

I am going to do a test to see if I can pull of that cool mottled white look - not all over but around the edges etc...

Gotta say I agree that I'm not sure more is needed, I was actually worried you were going to lose that metalized look under too much and it will just become 'grey'

As for those photos, just be careful. That looks like galvanic corrosion, which is very common on cast aluminum parts (like the motorcycle plate and car intake?). Galvanic corrosion happens when two different metals contact with each other in the presence of an electrolyte. (Like bolting that aluminum intake to a cast iron engine block) and while it can/does happen to extruded aluminum, it's not nearly as common or apparent to the eye, on a cast intake however, it happens easily and is often very apparent.

Food for thought. :p

Scott, IMO, you have absolutely killed this one! I just watched (no sound on my computer @ work) the video. That thing looks great!!!!

kewl. Thanks guys.

What do you think about doors with chipped paint? I know you didn't hear me Adam but at the end I ask if y'all would put a color on the doors and chip it, leaving the rest au naturelle.

+++ I'm thinking red. Red wheels and doors. A classic rod combo, and very peterbilt too. - especially with the huge whitewall semi truck tires.

Ken Abrams said:
Scott Girvan said:
What do you think about doors with chipped paint?

Could be cool.

But I'd only do one door like that, not both.

Just cuz

;D

Ken, I think you could be on to something. How about only painting the passenger side door, and then painting the steel patch another color or just rusting it up?

Latest posts

Back