BIG RIG RAT

Junkie

Started another build. The Revell 359 Peterbilt.

Here's the concept:
4371.jpg

Here's last nights mockup. I have already removed the sleeper. The pipes will need a trimming. I think I'll go with the kits CAT Diesel engine...nice and dirty though. Body will probably be painted with a metal color first, then rust and paint shipping galore.

4372.jpg

I'm quite sure I'll be buggin with question after question about suspension and such...so please bear with me. Climbing the learning curve.

Should be fun though...

Should be pretty painless. Gonna use as many kits parts as I can. I will build the frame from scratch though...or modify the kit frame. Lots of moulded parts on it though.

As for suspension, I'm not sure of the terms, but 2 coils on each side in the back and single leaf in the front, with wishbone things holding it all together.

I want to keep as much of the Peterbilt stuff as I can. ie" grill, roof stuff, pipes, 5th wheel, partial fenders, engine etc...

Thanks guys. It's gonna be a fun one.

Doing some research for suspensions. Here a pic of what I have in mind for the front end:
0911sr_02_z+hot_rod_front_end+suspension_assembly.jpg

And a link to the excellent SBS: http://www.streetrodderweb.com/tech/0911sr_hot_rod_front_end/photo_02.html

and something like this in the rear:
14.jpg

Many pics here: http://www.scottshotrods.com/67TruckFrame.asp

Please correct me if I'm wrong with this method...

+++ I also am considering building this so that it could tow a lowboy trailer. Could be cool...just have to get the 5th wheel height correct (45mm off the ground actually)

Here's a scale drawing of the plan with the frame in red.

Thoughts?

4375.gif

Gonna work on this beast of an engine tonight.
spare-parts-engine-engine-CATERPILLAR---1_big--12031415045903218300.jpg

ha ha. Nasty eh. Here's some more of the CAT 3406.

Can someone say hairspray? look like the base color is a light metal...

P1130500_compressed.jpg

P1130502_compressed.jpg

P1130503_compressed.jpg

P1130501_compressed.jpg

Yeah ....yer just showing off now !! Mines bigger than yers is ' :p ;D Looks sweet Scott ,I'll be watching fer sure ;D ,Your suspension set up is spot on too ;) :)

Chris.

Cool beans. :)

Man, I finally figured out that if I want reference for cars stop trying to find it in model forums...look in real hotrod forums. Tons of detailed photos, info. Also I find that searching using the term 'hot rod' yields better results/photos that searching 'rat rod'.

DUH.

I guess I wont be getting any sleep tonight. Going to be glued to the computer screen waiting for updates...

Scott Girvan said:
Cool beans. :)

Man, I finally figured out that if I want reference for cars stop trying to find it in model forums...look in real hotrod forums. Tons of detailed photos, info. Also I find that searching using the term 'hot rod' yields better results/photos that searching 'rat rod'.

DUH.

Type 'Ratrod' (one word ) into google search and click images ....Looooooaaaads of pics ;)

Latest posts

Back