BIG RIG RAT

Thanks StuG. I think it's goona look perty kewl.

Adam, not sure how much I'll get some. Chrome parts are bathing in Draino, but not sure if I'll get to that engine or not.

Chris...yup. Done that lots. I should've said when searching for closeups of suspension. I was able to find more pics searching 'hot rod (hotrod) front suspension' vs. 'rat rod (ratrod) front suspension" etc...

Scratch building amazes me. No clue how to do it but will be watching closely at this one. How does one scratch build something circular per say a shock ? What determines what type of suspension you would use for this Scott ? Is there different options or because your scratch building it can you pretty much build it for any type of suspension you want to use ? What method are you going to be using to weather the engine ? Anxious to watch this build progress. Please keep posting photos of your progress.

[quote author=hooterville75]
How does one scratch build something circular per say a shock ? [/quote]

I use Evergreen stock. You can get it in all kinds of sizes. Wire comes in handy for lots of stuff too.

[quote author=hooterville75]What determines what type of suspension you would use for this Scott ? [/quote]

From my research there are several options for a lowered suspension. I just found photos on Google of Rat Rod Peterbilt Trucks and investigated by visiting the page where the photo was from, reading and just continuing that until I found the answer.

[quote author=hooterville75]Is there different options or because your scratch building it can you pretty much build it for any type of suspension you want to use ? [/quote]

Well I'm not 100% hung up on getting every detail right, but I do want it to look believable. In theory you could scratchbuild anything from your imagination..but I do want it to look believable.

[quote author=hooterville75]What method are you going to be using to weather the engine?[/quote]
Most likely hairspray chipping for this one. Then tons of washes and stuff...AK stuff.

I'll be posting in progress pics. Thanks for the interest.

Thanks. I can't wait to start painting this beast!

So since last time I've cleaned up and test fit the engine. She's a big one.

4377.jpg

4378.jpg

4379.jpg

I'll add some wire detail. This kit is decent but not a big fan of a few hollow parts. Nothing AVES won't fix though.

4380.jpg

I also started on the frame. Built with 8mm (scale 8") I-Beam. With the help of a metal hobby square I made sure all the angles were right ;) . It's square and true, two identical parts. I added square plates at each 45 to strengthen it and will add bolt detail later.

4381.jpg

Now here's the thing. I measured, worked off my plan and it's too short. DOH! The rad won't fit and I don't want the tranny totally in the cab. Not sure if I should add a splice under the cab or buy more 8mm I-Beam and build it again. Thoughts?

4382.jpg

Thanks for watching. The suspension should be....fun.

Thanks Spud...let's hope it's cool.

++

Just dropped back in with a question. Found some truck chassis pics and C Channel is more common, and it don't look to be 8" either.

I think I will have to rebuild...what size should I be going for? Thanks for the help guys.

That engine has nice detail. And the mock up looks cool man. Not sure about the size of the frame. It might have to be bigger than a normal rat rod pick up due to extra weight of that big honkin engine.

That mock up looks sweet, engine too. I'm sure it'll look very nice all chipped and washed. You thinking the frame is too small? Or not the right shape? I just spotted a few frames that were "box frame" rather than "I beam". Not sure best/easiest way to recreate that at scale.

Just watched the vid of that blue Pete. Wicked. That's close to what I'm gong or except mine will be lower and shorter wheel base.

Sweet looking Donkey there Scott!!! Moving ahead rather nicely!!! I like those gusset plates on the frame!!!

Lovin the Donkey ;D ...Saweet !!! The frame looks good too ,It looks in proportion to the build , you can use either I or [ section ,I've worked on lorries/trucks that use either & both . Rod on Bro ;D ;D

Chris.

Latest posts

Back