BIG RIG RAT

Nice work. As a tip, PACCAR (Kenworth and Peterbilt) ordered their engines painted white during the era this truck was manufactured. Depending on supply and demand, the 3406A Caterpillar engine shown could be painted white or CAT yellow when installed in a KW or Pete.

Best regards,

Matt

Cool, and thanks guys for the comments.

White or Yellow? I have options, sweet. Still think I'll go with yellow, but maybe one part white..like they did a swap.

Yup, yella.

Here's an update. Between chores I stole 15 minutes here, 20 minutes there. The frame is pretty much done. Just need to add a cross member to tie the front suspension leaf too. The engine supports are in, engine will sit nice one this, pretty low she will be.

Overall it's pretty much square...not 100% hair-width dead on, but really close. The Chopper was the right tool for this job. That and an actual square.

I mixed up the stock, just to give it more of a ratrod feel I guess. I think I'll drill out some holes along the longest section, to 'lighten' the frame and to add some cool.

Also added some tiny hex bolts (from Titchy Train or something like that) and then a small metal part using the Small Shop Nutter.

That's it for today...work to do.

4383.jpg

4384.jpg

4385.jpg

Looks good man, that's how I'm modelling at the moment 30 mins here and there lol

Thanks guys. It's coming out good. My only 'regret' is not angling the front at 45ish instead of 90. I think the frame might stick up above the front tires...but we'll see.

The truck is gonna be really nice and low, and that was the main goal. Shouldn't be more than 6 to 8 scale inches off the ground. A mouse would hit his head on the oil pan. lol..

The frame is coming on nice :) ...What about some welds on those square plates ? ...just a thought :)

Yip ....would look cool under the paint & weathering too :)

That's some serious scratch building Scott. The leaf springs and u bolts are wicked cool. This is gonna be a sick build!

Ooooh Man ! Now that is neat :) Wicked Awesomeness Cool Beanies ;D ;D

Chris.

Thanks fellas. Man, it's low though. My oil pan is all of 1 scale inch off the ground. About a low as you can go. lol.

That looks great Scott. And heavy duty. Just put a dent in the bottom of the oil pan. ;)

Scott Girvan said:
Thanks fellas. Man, it's low though. My oil pan is all of 1 scale inch off the ground. About a low as you can go. lol.
Perfect! Just like it should be. ;D

Scott, are those brown hickermajiggers pool cues ferrals with the leather tips ? They almost remind me of that ha ha. Perfect roundness with the actual leather tips on the end ha ha.

Latest posts

Back