Bending P.E. Parts

Dusky

I have a future project of mine which is a kit I would like to add a lot of the missing detail to using a resin and P.E. set. Since my experience with P.E. is limited, I decided to buy an Eduard P.E. set for one of my tanks to see if I even want to mess with detailing the future project. What tools can I use to fold P.E. parts? Many of the parts are very small. I have assorted styrene rod and tubing I can use for round P.E. parts, but what can I use for the rest of it? I know they make P.E. bending rigs, but I don't want to invest in one unless I would like to use P.E. in the future.

I already have my CA, epoxy and Tamiya clear to attach the P.E. parts.

I use a pair of small needle nose with smooth jaws and straight razor blades. For parts that need a radius bend I use small drill bits. Hope that helps.

Also, what are some ways to clean brass P.E.? The P.E. in my kit is starting to rust a bit.

What ronrod said. I also use a one sided razor blade to hold the piece down and mark the bend line. Then slide a #17 xacto blade (straight chisel tip) under the etch and fold up. An old CD makes a good firm surface on which to work. It is very important to wear eye protection when cutting etch!!! Vineagar or alcohol make good cleaners. If it's really bad off tape a sheet of 800 grit to a flat surface and lightly sweep the whole fret over it. Give it a shot Suk...With your skills, you should have no problems and I think you might even enjoy it. This link may help you.

clickyhttp://titanic-model.com/articles/photoetch/Photoetched_Brass.htmclicky

Yeah, I would start out with a pair of tweezers and/or smooth jaw pliers, and a couple of razor blades and try it that way before shelling out for a PE Bender.

If you decide you like PE (it is a love, hate relationship with me....but I still do it), then invest in a PE bender. The ones from The Small Shop are about the best on the market, and they make different sizes of PE bender to fit your needs. The 2" bug starts out at about $45, and goes up from there depending on the size of the bender. The 4" model seems to be the most popular.

If you do decide you like it, go to ebay to get that bender. If you are patient, you can find one for cheap.

nail polish remover is also good for cleaning any ca off of the brass, also stick some masking tape to the back of the brass before cutting it so the small peices dont go flying.

i use some blades a steel ruler and a lot of patience. there are a lot of tools for brass work and its pricy but if you plan on doing a lot of it, it will make you brass work easier to do.

i plan on getting one or two of the pe tools this year, because Dragon keep putting lotsa small bits in there kits :)

Will these work?
img3376js.jpg

Now I just need to order some razor blades and x-acto blades.

Should work great...smooth jaw pliers like that are better so you don't impart the serrated marking that is usually on the end of pliers to the PE.

Elm City Hobbies said:
Should work great...smooth jaw pliers like that are better so you don't impart the serrated marking that is usually on the end of pliers to the PE.

I have that issue with the tweezers I have if I use too much force.

This is the set I ordered, though I paid less for it. I'm going to order a folding blade, possibly some clamps and some saw blades for my x-acto knife for cutting apart the plastic parts to fix many inaccuracies.

Latest posts

Back