clear parts

You can, but the clear parts must be sealed first or else they will get a foggy look. To seal them I use Future floor polish. Just pour some into a container and dip the parts in, then dab a corner onto a piece of paper towel to soak up any extra. I repeat this 2-3 times and I've never had that problem again since. Cheers.

I use plain old white glue to attach my clear parts (after coating them with Future). It dries nearly clear never fogs. It's not as strong as a true bond or solvent weld, but holds well enough.

I would never use super glue for clear parts.
That is just me, but I wouldn't do it. I use Future though and recommend that highly.
If I have any clear glass to attach I use either Micro Krystal Kleer, or even Elmer's glue. The parts will not stand any abuse but they will stay on if you are just moving the model around.
There are glues made to attach clear parts that can stand up to some knocking about. Check at the local Hobby Shop

Has anybody used Testors Clear Parts cement? and what is everybodies thought on it...

Iafrate said:
Has anybody used Testors Clear Parts cement? and what is everybodies thought on it...

I've used it a few times. It's not to bad for smaller pieces. For canopies I just used tiny dots of CA after treating the part with a few coats of future (much like the earlier post stated). It's just a stronger bond I think. Works great for me and I don't have to worry about knocking it off with my big fat fingers. If I have any gaps, I just fill them with some thinned out Vallejo putty (with water), or Mr. Surfacer 5000, and then tidy it up with some alcohol on a cotton bud.

Future to coat the part and Matt gel medium to hold it on. ;)
Any white glue will work but the Matt gel medium dry's rock hard and invisible.
I've never used CA due to the chance of fogging. Dipping the part in Future will also help remove scratches and imperfections in your clear parts.

Elm City Hobbies said:
Just use Future itself to adhere a canopy....essentially the same thing as Matt Gel Medium, just in a liquid form.
Very true, I've used future too, works great. IMO the MGM is a better consistancy to work with.

Maknifiso said:
Future to coat the part and Matt gel medium to hold it on. ;)
Any white glue will work but the Matt gel medium dry's rock hard and invisible.
I've never used CA due to the chance of fogging. Dipping the part in Future will also help remove scratches and imperfections in your clear parts.
Try NOVUS brand polish - this is made for plastic, and it cleans all the scratches off to a high gloss shine. I suggest 2000 grit, and finer paper for removing scratches that are too deep for polish to get out. www.stew-mac.com has polishing papers of all kinds for scratch removal. This is what I use to polish small windsheilds as well as big clear parts.

Iafrate said:
I've used it for years. Recently on my ME-410. it sat for about a year masked with Tamiya tape and when i pulled the tape off i was frettin about the canopy coming with the tape. Thankfully it didin't. I'd recommend it. use a tooth pick with applying it.

Latest posts

Back