Battlewagon: M4A3E8 ETO

The sandbags look awesome!!! Great detail & the jerry cans are also a brilliant touch. 5 really cant wait to see this when it is finished. Truly an inspirational build!

ERIC,

It was Great to meet ya' & I'm glad you were able to make th trip to come see US ( AMPSCV).

Awesome Build !! It's something to see inperson ! Great work on th mantlet ERIC !! Th casting #'s look Steller ! Great Job on texturing th Mantlet !! Th Sand Bags & M.G.'s look Smokin' !

Yeah, I saw Eric's build in person and it's even more impressive when you can look at it in person. Doing a fantastic job on it Eric.

Everything but the Kitchen Sink - Stowage

Greetings everyone! ;D

I have been working up the stowage arrangement for the rear deck. I followed the basic steps as laid out by ScaleModelMedic’s YouTube vid on Modelling Stowage as I wanted to try my hand at modeling tarp material using magic sculpt epoxy putty.

In order to paint and weather the stowage I wanted to make it so that I could remove the stowage from the tank once it was built. However I wanted to maintain a good attachment point when I was finished so I use a small block of basswood and a piece of sprue from the kit and drilled a hole into top of the engine deck. I also cut out some of tools that interfered with the placement of the stowage arrangement. So that the stowage would not adhere to the kit I used cooking foil as a barrier. Using the basswood as an anchor I attached all the items of aftermarket stowage accessories to it and ran pieces of doubled folded tape underneath for putting indents from the strapping. Once the first layer of stowage was dry I add the camouflage netting made from first aid gauze (cheese cloth) and wood glue and them formed it to fit. Lastly using epoxy putty once more I made the air–identification panel and draped it over the stowage.

I think the results are not too awful for the first time using this method.

P12a.jpg

P12b.jpg

P12c.jpg

P12d.jpg

P12e.jpg

P12f.jpg

P12g.jpg

Let me know what you all think and Thanks for stopping by :)

The playlist
Metallica - St. Anger
Static X- Wisconsin Death Trip
Black Label Society - The Blessed Hellride
Pantera - Cowboys From Hell

Looking great Eric! I really like the modular approach to the stowage. Great seeing it in person too! We hope to have you back at our AMPS club meetings!

Frank

It's looking really good. Really love the storage...

Perhaps a bit off-topic, but what is this "magic sculpt" that you're using? I can buy green-, grey-, and brown-stuff as well as milliputty in my local shop. How does magic sculpt compare to that?

I just wanted to THANKS to everyone for the nice comments ….So THANKS! :D

@ f2k; Magic Sculpt (click the link) is similar Milliput in that it is also a two part epoxy putty. The major difference is the working time. MS seems to have a longer working time then MP, usually about 30-45 minutes for MS. This working time can be increased with the use of water to keep it damp. Keep in mind that this also equates to longer drying time to full hardness. I have used MP in the past and I think it is great for filling large areas. However for the type of work I have been doing lately, sandbag and tarps, I need more time to work in the details.

Not sure about the colors but the MS web site may provide more information. I noticed that you are from “The Cold North” so availability may be problem. However if your willing to shop on ebay you can find it there, that is where I got my current supply. Give Magic Sculpt a try this stuff totally rock and I think you will really like it. Hope this helped out.

errains said:
I just wanted to THANKS to everyone for the nice comments ….So THANKS! :D

@ f2k; Magic Sculpt (click the link) is similar Milliput in that it is also a two part epoxy putty. The major difference is the working time. MS seems to have a longer working time then MP, usually about 30-45 minutes for MS. This working time can be increased with the use of water to keep it damp. Keep in mind that this also equates to longer drying time to full hardness. I have used MP in the past and I think it is great for filling large areas. However for the type of work I have been doing lately, sandbag and tarps, I need more time to work in the details.

Not sure about the colors but the MS web site may provide more information. I noticed that you are from “The Cold North” so availability may be problem. However if your willing to shop on ebay you can find it there, that is where I got my current supply. Give Magic Sculpt a try this stuff totally rock and I think you will really like it. Hope this helped out.

Thanks for the answer.

Yes, availability is quite a problem. We used to have a handful of hobby shops in town, catering to everything from tabletop gaming over scale models and to model trains. Now I can't even get my hands on a single sheet of plast-card... :(

I've found a UK-based supplier of Magic Sculpt on eBay. I might try to import some, just to see what it's like. But having to import everything is getting ridiculously expensive...

I am shocked !

All that nice work... and its all covered up with sand bags...??? and Tarps.. you are a lot more
courageous than me...

I could not cover up so many hours... of tedious work ... but I guess you know its there !! right ?

Love the welding, How to!!! always wondered how to do that ! the right way ! Love your HOME made Handle bar Wedge !!! Brilliant ! Loved the Lifting hook replacement, How to! you were right ! the kit ones did look kind off Smallish !

Keep up the good work !!!

@ Schweinhund227; I was a bit shocked myself! When I was building up the lower hull I just added and replaced the items that I wanted to. The plan was always to depict a heavily used Sherman in the field conditions. I wasn’t totally sure what would be seen and what would not. After I got done with the sandbag I kind of scratched my head and asked myself “dude, why did you do that?” But hey it was fun and I'm happy with the results and after all that is what it is all about. Isn’t it?

Getting Close

Just wanted to post a real quick up-date since it has been awhile. Starting to put the finishing touches on the construction phase and testing out a photo set-up.

Enjoy

X31.jpg

Hello bud

New to this site so I've only just seen your build your doing a cracking job bud the work you've put into this model excels everything I've seen before.

Looking forward to the paint job

Keep up the good Work mate

Geegad

Latest posts

Back