Tamiya Sherman M4A3E8 - 1/35 Scale

gameengineer

Reaction score
Might as well chronicle my adventure here. This will be my first model build attempt with attention to scale details. I know there will be plenty of mistakes but it should still be fun and still be a great learning experience.

Just ordered my first airbrush (Badger Patriot 105) with Master Airbrush TC-20T 1/5 HP compressor. Its a cheap compressor so if it poops out (which I hope it doesn't) I have my 6 gal. 2HP (noisy) air compressor as a back up. I am thinking of getting a cheap model of some sort to practice airbrushing on.

I will do a paint scheme different from Tamiya's image below but this is the general look of the tank.

EDIT: Okay I haven't even started and I am already changing my mind on the model to build. I admit not doing as much research on the M4A3 variant but I thought the one I bought originally was the "Fury" version. It wasn't. I originally set out to built that version. So I found the right model and this is the one I am going to build.

Image from Tamiya: Sherman M4A3E8 (Tamiya model: TM35346)

-Steve

urumomo

Reaction score
Re: Tamiya Sherman M4A3 75mm gun - 1/35 Scale

six gallons of air at 120 psi will last plenty long running an airbrush at 12-15 psi ;D

so the noisy part would be once daily at most .

Looking forward to some build pics !

Cheers ,
Uru

gameengineer

Reaction score

urumomo said:
six gallons of air at 120 psi will last plenty long running an airbrush at 12-15 psi ;D

so the noisy part would be once daily at most .
Ok, picture this. The one time when it would run would be late in the evening (the only time I can find to do hobbies, think: house full of needy family). So its either maintain a happy home with sleeping members using a quiet compressor or wake everybody up when the goliath compressor goes off. :D

Looking forward to some build pics !
Thanks!

-Steve

urumomo

Reaction score

Just say'n .
You can charge it up when the noise it makes is irrelevant .

I charge up a little 3 gal + an eleven gal reserve from Harbor Freight and it lasts me from 1 to 3 days depending .

......... no compressor is quieter than any compressor .

We digress .

So -- you're planning a winter white-wash on the Sherman ?

IMO , the Tamiya example is lame .
check out some better , real examples online .

Ciao

gameengineer

Reaction score

urumomo,
My OP says I am doing to do a paint scheme different from the Tamiya box image. I don't like that look much either.

-Steve

urumomo

Reaction score

just asking if you're doing a winter scheme . . .

I'll wait and see ;D

gameengineer

Reaction score

urumomo said:
just asking if you're doing a winter scheme . . .

I'll wait and see ;D
Probably not because I have some ideas for the diorama that isn't a winter theme. Thanks for the interest though. I have no idea what I'm doing but there's no time to waste getting it done! ::)

gameengineer

Reaction score
Started the build this weekend. Been 35 some years since I've built a model. Felt good actually but the parts were certainly harder to see. :) I use a lit magnifying stand.

I also found using sprue cutters was certainly the easy way to go too. I used xacto blades before. Also found the Tamiya Extra thin glue to be really nice to work with especially the small applicator brush. I am not very far along but I spent a lot of time sanding parts removing seams and sprue nubs (or whatever you call them). I am trying to do things much differently than before when I just slapped the model together as fast as I could.

I know this is pretty noob stuff but it sure felt nice to get back to model building. Can't wait to use my new airbrush too. :D

Errodynamic

Reaction score
I am building that same kit. My first armor model build in 35 years. It’s a good kit. I’ll be following your build.

Latest posts