Bandai A-wing fighter "Jade Seven"

Quaralane

All righty, then.
For the next project on the bench here, I'm going to do a buildup of the 1/72 scale A-wing fighter from Bandai

bandai-a-wing-jade7-01.jpg

Like with the first Bandai X-wing I did, I'm going to build this one as part of "Jade" Squadron. In this case, "Jade 7."
As usual, we'll start with a look at the contents of the various sprues
bandai-a-wing-jade7-02.jpg
bandai-a-wing-jade7-03.jpg
bandai-a-wing-jade7-04.jpg
bandai-a-wing-jade7-05.jpg

To get started with turning this into a Jade Squadron plane, I painted the red-brown parts with Colorspray Kelly Green
bandai-a-wing-jade7-06.jpg

Before tackling the fighter itself, I built up the "turret' that comes as part of the base
bandai-a-wing-jade7-07.jpg

The cockpit was built at detailed with grey and the kit decals
bandai-a-wing-jade7-08.jpg

Step one, the main hull, was completed in fairly straight order.
I really like how the green turned out
bandai-a-wing-jade7-09.jpg
bandai-a-wing-jade7-10.jpg

Engines were assembled fairly quickly.
I put a coat of Testors "Hickory" wash in the clear pieces to simulate the engine glow
bandai-a-wing-jade7-11.jpg

The turret was finished of with a black wash and the excess wiped off with cotton swabs and paper towels.
The A-wing itself got a similar treatment, followed by me picking out a couple of plates with drybrushing black around to simulate scorching.
The pilot was given a greenish blue flight suit with white accenting before being given a blue wash
On either side of the cockpit, I took a small Sharpie, and wrote "Jade 7" in the Star Wars 'Aurabesh" font.
I also put an aurabesh "7" on either rudder

Finished build pics
bandai-a-wing-jade7-12.jpg
bandai-a-wing-jade7-13.jpg
bandai-a-wing-jade7-14.jpg
bandai-a-wing-jade7-15.jpg
bandai-a-wing-jade7-16.jpg
bandai-a-wing-jade7-17.jpg
bandai-a-wing-jade7-18.jpg
bandai-a-wing-jade7-19.jpg
bandai-a-wing-jade7-20.jpg
bandai-a-wing-jade7-21.jpg

Youtube link:

Last edited:
That's really cool .
I love the green ;D

Before I watched the vid , I thought that tower was way bigger :eek:

That's one fancy-impressive feat of slide molding they have there for the engines -- I'd like to see how that mold works . ;)

I was wondering about the characters and their translation -- glad you covered that . It looks really sharp !

Cheers

Thanks, Urumono
I added the explanation of the text to the explanation of the build now, as well

Cool! Can't wait to get my hands on one of these babies.

NICE.....gotta admit...I've never been a fan of green on Star Wars ships....but this just looks so right!!

Love it..... ;D

Looks good! I won't be getting this kit as I like the smaller size for this scale, but very nice work! I love the green.

Rear landing gear looks weird to me as I always assumed it landed on the rear wings. But, alas, that's a minor problem.

Thanks, sci-fi. It just came to me on the green.

Ramsayman, the landing gear looks a little odd to me, as well. But we never really did see much of these landed in the movie

Inspirational, man! I really mean it- I saved all these pics for duplicating your weathering technique!
I really dig how you made some panels look replaced without over doing it!

Thank you, Jason
Truth be told, I drew my inspiration from the box art as far as the weathering went

Wow! Really liking this one. The color scheme, the weathering, the replaced panels... Nice job!

Latest posts

Back