Applicator for AK Dark Steel Pigments

TRM

A while back I had picked up some of AK’s Dark Steel Pigments. This is a truly incredible product! A light dab rubbed on your finger and you could add a nice raw steel effect to just about any edge. Fingers work really well for this, they hold the pigment and they are soft which allows you to move smoothly over different surfaces. However, I found that applying this effect to an exact spot, like a single bolt or and edge of a part that rests between several other parts was a bit problematic…especially with my big fingers. So I decided to attempt to make at creating a tool to aid with a somewhat “tighter” application.

Using a can of Plasti Dip, which is used to replace worn out rubber handles on tools, some tooth picks and the shaft from a Q-tip (Bud).

1753.jpg

Slowly dipping the tooth pick into the Plasti Dip and then slowly removing. Newly coated it will dry to the touch in 15 minutes or so and cure after 4 hours.

1755-1.jpg

Once dry, New Tools!!!

1756.jpg

Tapping a dash of the pigment into the cap, just dip the tip of the new applicator into the AK Dark Steel Pigment coating the end. I gave it a spin on the edge of the cap to knock off any heavy residue and you are good to go.

1763-1-1.jpg

The tooth pick tools works excellent in reaching tough edges and the taper helps keep the pigment off the part you don’t want them on.

1766.jpg

1768.jpg

I was able to apply pigment to just one side of the sight shield

The angled tip applicator works really well on the flattened corners and long panel edges

1770.jpg

1773.jpg

The tip to the tooth pick tool works surprisingly well in reaching into recessed bolt cavities applying the pigment to the bolt head and the rim of the countersunk hole

1777.jpg

1778.jpg

After using, the new plastic tip is cleanable for use at another time.

The new applicator seem to be just soft enough to be able to apply enough pressure to the surface you wish to apply the pigment to and the rubber surface holds it rather nicely.

All in all it took a few minutes to make up a dozen or so in various shapes and sizes and let them cure for a few hours. Now I have a pile of applicators that I can use for a long time to come.

Thanks for stopping by…enjoy!! ;)

Latest posts

Back