Another Giant robot - 1/144 Age-2

Ravhin

Warm-up for the Gundam group build. When I recently came back to the hobby I wanted to try a cheap, small but recent kit to see how they are nowadays and picked the High Grade (yeah right) Age-2 Normal at 1/144 scale. I also wanted to try my hand at post shading and see what I could do with that.

It's pretty small and doesn't have loads of detail but it's still better served than some of the older ungraded 1/100's that I built, specially in the exposed frame parts.

First as usual I just snapped it to see where the problems are.
gundam_age-2-21.jpg

There are a some seams in the wings, shoulders, forearms and rifle that need to be fixed and the alignment is not perfect either so there will be more sanding than I expected. Also they added annoying "safety" pegs to the head fin and wings that need to be removed.

The rifle was somewhat of a challenge since the half's where not aligned correctly. It was only a fraction of a millimetre but after priming it was painfully obvious. But nothing a bit of sanding and glue can't fix.

gundam_age-2-17.jpg

With that out of the way it was time to get the airbrush out. The white parts where painted with a base coat of a light bluish grey and highlighted with pure white; the yellows where base coated orange and highlighted with a light yellow; and finally the reds where painted red ( ::) ) and highlighted with a lighter orangish red, though you can hardly see it, maybe I should have made it more orange.

gundam_age-2-20.jpg

After this some more seams got fixed, and painted the sensors and the metallic pieces. Lots of masking of minute pieces involved which was quite annoying. (each of those squares has 1cm of side)

gundam_age-2-27.jpg

gundam_age-2-28.jpg

gundam_age-2.jpg

The final seams could now the fixed, but unfortunately these could not be 100% closed without some major reworking of the wings, since it would impact the hinge where they connect to the shoulders and would loose it's mobility. Still what was left is barely visible since it's on the inside.

The colours here where made with a base coat of blue and midnight blue (around 5:1) and highlighted with lighter blue.

gundam_age-2-1-2.jpg

This could mean that all the airbrushing was done, but alas when I was doing some detailing on the helmet I wrecked the sensors so I have to repaint those, and when I was testing some assemblies I noticed the fit between the arms armour and frame is too tight and scrapped some paint off, so I had to repaint the shoulders and sand some plastic of the inside of the arms to make sure this doesn't happen again.

These are just curing up, after that I'm done, with just some minor detailing needed, as well as a couple of decals and top coat. If I don't screw up again.

Thanks for watching.

Nice post and thanks for detailing out your technique. I think some are intimidated by Gundams since the methodology is different than other models.

@Grendels I want to build other stuff besides these sorts of kits so I've been doing some research (which is how I found this forum ;D ) and yeah the approach to building one of these is definitely different, but the skills are the same no matter the type of kit so I don't think anyone should be intimidated by it. The part count is also not that different from some planes/cars/armour .

@fumblethumbs There should be more coming in with the Gundam group build starting soon :) I for one am quite interested in seeing the skilled people around here having a go at these fellas.

@Ferris928 Thanks :) I have just repainted the head which will go into top coating at the end of the day. It came out pretty good.

Repainted the shoulders and sanded the hell out of the inside of the armour pieces. Let's see if it worked.

gundam_age-2-1-3.jpg

gundam_age-2-2-2.jpg

Success !

Everything is now primed, and the last bits I did to the head are curing up. Early next week I'll put it all together.

Thanks for watching

Thank you Grendels.

Made quite a bit of mistakes (pooling mostly), but fortunately since I was using really thinned out paint at low PSI and slowly building up the colour they where easy to fix with a bit of wet sanding. Also one of the good things about using lacquers, after 5 minutes they are ready to be sanded and repainted when needed.

Excellent !

That's why painted models are always better-looking.

Bravo !

You're quite right YOULI. A good paint job always beats top coated plastic, both in looks and satisfaction :)

FG, MG, PG, RG... Same alike ! :)

Dudes, think about it, even the cheapest Gundam can look good with your painting talent.

They have two lines . The aqueous hobby color, light blue label and the codes start with an H which is the one you are thinking of and Mr Color with the dark blue label and codes starting with C which is lacquer.

Thanks! I probably can't get the Lacquer colors here in the states. It would be nice, paint that dries fast is a bonus!

It is quite hard to get. There are a couple of suppliers in Europe but stock is usually very short but I make do mostly with old stuff I bought when it was possible to import from Japan.

There is also Zero Paints and Plamo UK, both are UK brands that do lacquers and have generally good opinions. Used Zero paints and they are indeed pretty good, but I've not had a chance to try plamo. Not sure how it would be to import though, since they are nasty chemicals, and I assume the risk of the package being destroyed by customs is fairly high.

I've also heard about Monster Kolor, which is based in the US but I have no knowledge of them besides the name.

Latest posts

Back