An easy alternative to expensive compressors

RocketSilo

I have been looking at airbrush compressors as we all enjoy to occasionally check out the latest greatest dream set ups for our painting needs.

I went by a couple local shops and was able to play with a couple nice AB specific compressors and some deeper online research,/reviews was done as well

I have come to 2 conclusions..
1)--AB compressors are expensive.!! a decent brand runs from $250 up to $800-$1200 for a high end Sil-air!

2) I have my dream setup already!!!

Tho I may have been away from the scale modeling world for quite some time and have only really got back in to it for the last month..I have been using my AB's regular for the last 5-6 years. alot of this time spent on my Model rocket hobby and general painting.

my airbrush system consists mainly of my Iwata 33l(approx 9 gallon) air tank..
There is no more silent means of airbrushing than a simple tank !

I have a cheap shop type 8 gallon compressor .. that is very loud but has been problem free for 8 years now.. I keep that in my garage/shed and use it to fill my 9 gallon AB tank,,it take approx 1 minute to fill the tank.

I purchased a few fittings to allow to to plug in and unplug my AB tank with ease.. this consists of an air chuck set, check valve(optional) and regulator.. my airbrush hose simply plugs in to the regulater,,and it plugs into the tank....I have had no need for a moisture trap as no heat or moisture is generated by the tank..however it does have a drain if needed ( and an over pressure valve).. any typical pressure tank comes with a drain and OP valve.

the tank lasts forever it seems..so much that today I conducted an experiment to see how much airbrushing this tank provides.

I filled my tank to 100 psi (the compressor will go to 120 psi but I don't have a need to max it out)I set my stopwatch up ,, set the regulator at a respectable average.. 18 psi.
I connected my AB, taped down the trigger and waited ..

the tank finally dropped to 17 psi at the 38 minute mark.
keeping in mind that 38 minutes of nonstop spraying is many weeks..possibly months... and many models !! .

imagine sitting thru a 30 minute tv program holding down the airbrush trigger to gage how much spraying time this is.. ..if I would have filled the tank to 120 psi ..I could easily imagine 45 minutes total spray time !!

the best part is ...totally silent,,no moisture, no pulsations and I can crank the pressure beyond anything I would need to spray if needed

[attachment deleted by admin]

even if I had to refill the tank every 2 weeks ,, the one minute to fill and couple minutes to tote the tank back and forth has never been a problem.

here is a breakdown of the costs.. I grabbed these figures today,,from the internet and picked average bargain type prices I found. (afterall we modelers are shrewd bargain hunters by nature...lol)

8 gallon compressor--$100 Harbor freight( a smaller/cheaper compressor would do just as well)

9 gallon tank-$30 anywhere( mine was $10 from a yard sale)

regulator--10.. I found a digital readout version online for $15..sweet!

check valve -7.00(not necessary but nice option)

air kit--8.00(chucks,fittings,blowgun coily hose.. typical bargain kit)

teflon tape,,$1.00

gas ---$4.00 (for the inevitable trip to get tape or a last minute fitting)

total investment for absolute silent kick butt AB system --$160..including teflon tape and gas ect..even at $200 this is a great reliable silent system

even if a person did not have a spot for the loud main compressor.. it only takes a minute..no more than 2... to fill the tank...thats all the noise generated every few weeks.

so .. for those who are saving the hundreds of dollars to get a name brand must have compressor and need silence and have a strict budget....take this option into consideration.

I would not trade my setup for any AB compressor out there... it's a trouble free and absolutly silent way to paint models.

[attachment deleted by admin]

I've had descussions about this sort of airbrush set up. It's fine if you live in a house with a garage or basement but what about an apartment.
There is a silent method that most people don't think of. Renting a 1/2 cylinder of compressed air from a welding supply shop. I've seen airbrush artists with this set up.

true but "one minute" of a compressor running "every couple weeks" at the most with a blanket thrown over it.
surely that would not be an issue for even the most anal of apartment dwellers

I used to run a set up like this until I got a mini "silent" airbrush compressor. My tank was a used refrigerant tank with a conversion kit so you can refill it with compressed air. Worked great.

The no moisture thing wouldn't be true. Any air under compression in a tank will form condensation. Best to have a moisture trap.

Hi ECH,
my fill compressor has one on it's outlet,But I agree, it's always a good idea to do that.
I have one purchased , but need to pick up a fitting to install it on the AB tank.
since I have been using acrylics I probably have not noticed moisture.

I'd second the moisture comment, you will be prone to some amount of condensation, i could pretty much guarantee if you opened the drain valve and placed your hand under it would come away wet.
Certainly get a moisture trap on there.
Otherwise that seems a pretty good idea for a setup, re the couple of min to refill, i'd be inclined to think that apartment dwellers would still get grief, i have a big noisy complressor in the shed, (for big sparyguns, airtool, tyre inflators) etc and it's a fairly decent not too old one and that thing is NOISY and damn, does it vibrate while it's filling it's own tank.
I wouldn't fire that up at night for worry of annoying the neighbours across the yard so certainly not in an apartment.

On the silent compressors, I have a cheap setup I bought from ebay, compressor and two AB's, it's been great, I can spray at night with my little boys bedroom right beneath my hobby room without disturbing him.
I,ve done protracted sessions of 45+ minutes a few times, so much i had hand cramp and while it's gotten pretty hot it's not reached the thermal cutout or become lacking in operation, the whole setup was less than £100 delivered too.
The only thing i'd change now is i'd buy one with a tank.

Neat ! I envisioned using such a set up but... we call them AIR PIG here... The Space in my House and Having a CHARGED cylinder under my bench ..... Mmmm
Kind of ... pushed in favour of a low pressure Compressor ! Not putting your System down or anything...

To each his own !

and Yes Compressors are super expensive ! I totally agree with you on that one !
I had to wait for a "50% OFF" coupon to pick a decent one at Micheal's ! I was lucky !

But in retrospect ! I wish my Compressor was Silent !!! it would make a Model building
experience even better...

Thanks for sharing your system !!!

Compressors don't have to be that expensive, the one I have I paid about $100 for, mind you not a quiet as a hobby compressor or an air pig, but if noise isn't an issue, go to your local DIY store, should be able to get one fairly reasonable, usually go on special every now and then, and usually get a nice nail gun with it!!

Latest posts

Back