AMT SLAVE 1- BOBA FETT VERSION-

Thanks guys!

Grendels said:
LOL! I wasn't trying to scare you that badly.....

Keep up the work, you are knocking this one out of the park!
LOL thanks Grendel! I might have exagerated there a bit. Let's just say that you didn't scare me but rather made me... hum, cautious, yeah that's the right word !

This picture's for you:

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

So,we have a reveal, TA-DAM !

Yeah...I know... too much masking fluid :(
Right away, I knew I had to start over. I remember thinking :"at least the chipping effect is nice..."
So back to masking the dark grey part at the front and the access ramp at the back and out comes the delightful humbrol masking fluid, but this time not so heavy.

And paint. This is about the time I started thinking :"humm... funny, the new layer of red looks, ah, different..."

And indeed, I now have two different shades of red hull. That could actually be interesting but I don't like the new darker red AND STILL TOO MUCH CHIPS !! :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

A calm and experienced modeler would have probably call it the night. But me? NO WAY. Instead of sleeping on it, I did something very stupid: I decided I was re-doing the whole skirt of the ship. So I grabed my bottle of Isopropyl alcohol, a toothbrush and started removing/destroying the skirts paint job. The positive in all this is that I learned that isopropyl alcohol does not only eat paint, it also eats Future... Guys, my first language is canadian french, there is no possible translation to the words coming out of my mouth at that moment... A BIG FU&?%&* MESS ! sounds like something Mickey Mouse would have said ;D My hands where covered with dissolving paint/future mix, so no pictures...

Guess what? step 1, Primer:

At this point, all I hope is that the alcohol didn't eat at the fuselage's paint job under the masking tape... I'm afraid to look...I need a hug ;D

Cheers guys !

Don't panic dude, I did hold my breath at the first pic thinking "uh oh he's gone too far with the maskol!" but kudos to you for redoing it, takes a lot to do that. You'll be glad you did in the end. It's very difficult to recreate that skirt, no two slave 1's are the same lol.

Nice one, I have stripped paint and re painted a model on more than one occasion. And yes 91% will strip off any kind of paint if you leave it on long enough. This includes enamels.

Like the LED lighting. You are making progress. I think you did the right thing striping the paint on the skirt. Hang in there you can do it. The Force will be with you always.....

Thanks for your support guys!
I completed the skirt yesterday night. It was too late to post the pictures... I'll do this after work today.

Cheers

merseajohn said:
Where's the pics! ;D can you tell I'm really enjoying this build lol ;D

LOL Thanks MJ ! I'm dedicating this next post to you ;D ;D ;D

So where was I ? oh yeah, primer or Mmmmmm primer like some of us like to say :D
Next step: pre-shading.
img3251ev.jpg

img3249bq.jpg

First layer: Tamiya white, deck tan and a touch of cockpit green (I think it was cockpit green... then again, it could have been field green or fancy pants green, I'm not sure anymore, sorry... kids, I won't say it enough: always wear a mask when airbrushing...)
img3254p.jpg

img3252z.jpg

Maskol randomly applied
img3372vf.jpg

img3373t.jpg

Second layer, same as first layer but more green in it.
img3374n.jpg

Maskol off. I like the difference in tone of those 2 colors. Unfortunately, the pictures don't look as good as in reality. I noticed that the pre-shading is a bit more apparent that I wanted. But hey, I still got the hull red to do so, I'm not going through the isopropyl nightmare again just for that ;D
img3375yh.jpg

A touch of maskol and some pink; I never got as much attention from my 7 years old daughter...
img3379uu.jpg

Then, just a little tiny mini feathery pinch of maskol (who says I don't learn ??) :p And HULL RED BABY !!!
img3382l.jpg

15 minutes after painting, I had to take some maskol off... is this a mental condition: doing something you know could ruin hours of work just because you NEED to know if it works ? :p
img3381wc.jpg

Maskol off
img3383v.jpg

img3384d.jpg

img3385qq.jpg

img3386s.jpg

img3387jr.jpg

img3388j.jpg

img3389g.jpg

That was a long ride ! ;D
I got to be honest, I like the colors but I'm not 100% satisfied with the red-to-lightgrey balance as well as the "natural" (hey, we're talking about a space ship here) look of the chips. I used a different brand of maskol this time: pebeo water based masking fluid. It's much more watery then the humbrol and it goes on... grey... so I had a hard time seeing what I was doing :-\
After sleeping on it (no isopropyl alcohol this time) I decided that, since I'm planning on applying a few filters as well as weathering it the Star Wars way, it was close enough to where I want it. So I STRIPPED EVERYTHING AGAIN !!!!

just kidding ;D

Moving on to the next step: the fenders.

As always, I feel privileged to have comments form such talented modelers as yourselves!
So Cheers all!

It looks ace mate! ;D And as you rightly say, what with filters, washes etc it will look even better and tie everything together.

I'm liking it! The chipping is awesome, I like the way some of it appears around the panel lines, like that's where the corrosion would be most common.

Very cool so far!

Thanks guys !
Not perfect but moving on towards completion. This is actually only my second model so, yeah, progression has been fast thanks to this forum and all those various tutorials out there on youtube, you guys know who you are ;)
I'm planning on finishing this one in 2012 so let's go ;D

Base colors on the fender.
Left side is getting the same color as the fuselage:

Right side is slightly more on the green side:

Left side is getting my "improved" chipping technique:

Right side is getting the toothbrush splatter technique. I removed the bigger blobs prior to painting:

Left side painted:

Right side painted. Sorry for the overexposed picture:

I'm gonna leave this to dry overnight, somebody's learning 8) ...

Reveal will be tomorrow night, probably...

Cheers guys

Thanks for posting these photos, your step by step guide is very useful, you have mastered the chip technique.

I have two 1-72 Jango Slave 1's that I bought when they a lot cheaper, I was gonna do one as Boba's....so what you have done should steer me in the right direction.

There's not many reference images of the Jango paint job though

You have me hooked on your progress

J

Hey guys!
Thanks for the comments.
I don't have a full reveal.... after removing the masking tape and the maskol, it turns out I got a bit of bleed on my grey stripes on both sides. Could it be the masking tape that losses some of it's tackiness after a few days ?
Anyway, it's nothing I can't fix, but not tonight.
Pictures my friends:
I'm very happy with the chipping on this side. :)

Other side:

Next step, fixing the bleed, and removing all the masking tape. Whoopy! ;D

Cheers

One way to prevent bleed through with masking tape is to spray the tape with the base color after it is applied. To make sure you understand what I am saying I will give you steps:

1) paint the base color
2) mask
3) paint the base color again to seal down the tape
4) paint the secondary color
5) remove the tape.

I have also painted masking fluid directly on the tape to seal it down.

Latest posts

Back