AMT SLAVE 1- BOBA FETT VERSION-

Thanks a lot guys.
Your support is greatly appreciated.
I'm currently working on the gun turrets... The original is very ahh, boring and inacurate and the gun's fit is weird. So, another scratch buitd projet.
I'll try to get some pictures very soon, I always love the "before and after" shots!

Cheers and thanks again!

Ok, here we go!

This is the original detail... :-X Looking back at my first panel scribing (top part) is kinda dissapointing. But hey, moving on ;D

img2590r.jpg

By thejurasikfrank at 2012-05-23

The plan (after a couple of trial and errors):
Easter egg, meet Mr. compass.
Fix one point at the center and turn, and turn and turn....
img2595ez.jpg

...until TADAM!, this happens! :
img2594w.jpg

img2596y.jpg

then, sand smooth and apply. I actually used milliputty.
img2598n.jpg

filled the holes with milliputty:
img2600fq.jpg

That's it for the general shape. As you can see, I have much more volume now then there was originally. A bit blurry, sorry about that :p
img2601c.jpg

Last picture of the right side major detail completed.
img2605h.jpg

Thanks for watching guys!
Cheers

Wow that looks great! I'm always amazed at how people just find everyday things and make the 'perfect piece' out them.

Looking great, going to scribe mine this weekend, then start on the surface detail. The egg idea was genius and fits perfect. Keep up the great work. Jay

:eek:. You are a Krazy Mofo my man! Cutting off an egg and adding all that scratchbuilding on that old girl!

Makes you No1 in my book!

Awesome work!

Superb Job on the details!!! I like how you used the top of a plastic egg to add detail to the gun turret. I will have to add a plastic egg to my scratch building tool box for future projects.

merseajohn said:
Wow that looks great! I'm always amazed at how people just find everyday things and make the 'perfect piece' out them.
Thanks MJ!
I'm sure I'm not the only one going through his basement or the dollar store looking for useless objects that can help a project. I got to say, I was very happy with myself when I got the idea to cut the egg with a compass, felt like I almost knew what I was doing ;D
7165jay07 said:
Looking great, going to scribe mine this weekend, then start on the surface detail. The egg idea was genius and fits perfect. Keep up the great work. Jay
Thanks Jay!
I tried the tamya scriber and a needle point scribber and, to me the tamya scibber is the way to go for straight lines but the needle scribber gives you much more control on the curved areas. In both cases I used Dymo tape as a guide but for some funky details I made templates out of 0.3mm styrene sheets.
schweinhund227 said:
:eek:. You are a Krazy Mofo my man! Cutting off an egg and adding all that scratchbuilding on that old girl!

Makes you No1 in my book!

Awesome work!
LOL !
Thanks. I got to say, I felt just like the nerdiest person on earth carving that egg ;D

Quaralane said:
Excellent work in creating that detail
Thanks a lot. Hard work pays off... most of the time ;D

Jaitea said:
Nice clean work, looking good

J
Thanks Jaitea.
Comments like that coming from a guy that guts finemolds models to make them better is really appreciated ;D

Igard said:
That easter egg worked a treat! :D
Thanks Igard!
Tanker52 said:
Superb Job on the details!!! I like how you used the top of a plastic egg to add detail to the gun turret. I will have to add a plastic egg to my scratch building tool box for future projects.
Thanks!
The dollar store is FULL of cheap useless objects that can be life savers!

Cheers everyone!

I will be posting my cockpit work soon!

Out of topic quesiton my man...

Have you gone to the Star wars exibit in Montreal ??? Since you are from there !!!

Need to know if its' as good as I think it is !!!

Later !

Not yet, but its on the TO DO list!
I'll definatly post comments and pictures after my tour!
My son is gonna go KRAZY :eek:

Salut!

Hey guys!
I've been extremely busy with all sort of things. My little free time was spent on the slave but I haven't found the energy to actually post any progress, sorry :mad:
But know, I'M BACK BABY!

Ok, cockpit work. I basically used the shape and rough detail of the kit and added on to it ; started by cutting out the lower portion of the command center to incorporated the lower deck. I used the detail of that removed part to build a door at the back. Then I proceeded to scratch build the lower deck (2 seatings, a back wall and some greebles) and a very rudimental console. Using aluminum tubing and brass rods' i scratch built the periscope, got some fiber optics going in there too. However, I don't have any pictures of all this work, only the finished painted product :(. I should also mentioned that the canopy was HEAVILY sanded, polished and got the Future Floor Acrylic bath treatment with just a bit of brown food coloring to darken it.

Here, you can see the scratch built side detail as well as the gun "bases" and the piping connecting them.

Masking the canopy and, finally, PRIMER !

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

I pre shaded the fuselage a few days ago and started the actual painting job. So far, I've got the underside completed as well as the base color on the top. Lots of various color layers will be going on this kit,especially on the top portion.

More news soon!
Cheers!

Excellent! A big pat on the back for putting the effort in with this kit it looks great. Looking forward to the next update, dont take too long next time though lol!

merseajohn said:
... dont take too long next time though lol!
;D ;D ;D I promise I won't ! But I don't think I'll ever reach the top of the post-level-o-meter though.

Igard said:
Very sharp work! Looking awesome. Good to have you back! ;D

Thanks Igard! It's fun to look at everyones work but there's something really special to be actively participating.

Grendels said:

Thanks Grendels ! Scott, ModelMan Tom and you where true inspirations when I started modeling last year. I might even put a video up one day... hum, baby steps Frank, baby steps... 8)

Ok update:

As I was saying before the underside's base coat is done. Not 100% there but it'll do the job:

Let there be light ! I scratch built some, ah, texture if you will, inside the reactor cans just to make it somewhat interesting:

Wings and radar dish base color done as well. You can also see my aluminum axel to replace the "I'm-about-to-break-if-you-look-at-me-too-hard" original piece!

This one is of the tail part of the fuselage. Shiny hey ? Since I assemble pretty much the whole top portion of the ship, I applied a generous coat of Future to protect the paint during manipulation. this will all be toned down with a flay coat of Future when the base coat is completed. I really like the outcome of the masking fluid technique for the chips. Also, if you look carefully on the right side, the paint seems to have cracked a bit in the drying process. Usually, this would mean "star over", but in the context of this beaten up looking ship, it just looks perfect (to me of course). If I only knew how to recreate this "mistake"...

Yippie, umbrol masking fluid ! This stuff reeks man... hey, you kids out there, use proper ventilation or you'll end up just like me ! I masked pretty much the whole skirt of the ship at the exception of where the panel lines are. Then I applied a coat of pinkish-ugly-red and removed the masking fluid. This is for the kinda transparent pink that can be seen on the studio model. Sorry though, no pictures of this process. BUT LOOK WHAT WE HAVE HERE !!! More masking fluid before painting the hull-red (mix of tamiya red, with a few drops of tamiya blue and some tamiya brown, stole the recipe from another forum... shhhhhh...

My state of the art spray booth. You can't see it on this picture but I've got an extinguisher right next to the stove... Grendels scared the %??&*$ out of me with the potential fire hazard this kind of setup could be ;D ;D ! KIDS, where a mask, use a proper spray booth or go paint outside... or just wait for mummy to get out of the house... but still, where a mask !

I'm absolutely thrilled with my color mix !!! Look, it's evenbetter then the real one LOL ;D.

Next, removing the making fluid. Hum, I feel like I might have applied a bit much... oh well, we'll see tomorrow!

As always, comments and positive criticisms are welcomed !
Cheers!

LOL! I wasn't trying to scare you that badly.....

I was talking with Blacksheep1 yesterday about spray booths and fire hazards. I expect him to start a thread about it soon.

Keep up the work, you are knocking this one out of the park!

Any photos yet? any photos yet?

Looking fantastic so far......can't wait to see how she looks now

J

Latest posts

Back