Airfix Spitfire OOB

Moon Puppy

Dont' know if I started a thread here or not, if I did please merge, couldn't find it glancing over.

Kinda a productive day. Looking to clear the bench to start the Graf Spee and the Ford.

First, apologize to any Douglas Bader fans out there, I know I have likely butchered any historical accuracies by painting the bottom black and white, I did it on a dare so...there.

Spit012.jpg
Notice the walk way decal drifted after application? nasty little bugger that thing...to late to do anything about it. Battle Damage anyone?? ;D

Spit013.jpg
Letting the AlcladII Aqua Clear Gloss cure on it. then I'm going to do a Dot Filter just because I can...

Lookin very nice indeed MP! Looking forward to the dot filter. I have no clue as to what that is but still, I'm looking forward to it ;D

Thanks for the link M.P. :)
FT beat me to the punch - I was going to ask the same thing about the dot filter. Is this the new tool Airfix Spitfire or the classic?

Jason

Nice looking Spit! The camo appears totally realistic. Well done.
The decals look dead flat, did you use the Micro system to apply?

Guessing the new tool Jason. Went together very nicely, not typical Airfix you'd expect.

PANZERMAN used the Walthers Solvaset. Remember, I only post the best looking pictures! Still have a problem with the roundels on the underside wings.

Thanks for the great link MP! Thanks! I blame chuckw for my addiction to models. I followed one of his entertaining build logs 3 years ago and it's been full steam ahead ever since!

I second the thanks for the link. Very informative. Look forward to seeing your dot filler too.

Same with me Thumbs, I saw Chuck's work when I got back in the hobby about 7 years ago and was amazed then, he never fails to deliver. It's all Chuck's fault. 8)

hey M.P. - I tried to find the rest of Chuck's ME 410 build blog with out sucess, could you pass the link along to me?

Port wing has filter on it, starboard does not.

Looking at these photos, looks like it may be too heavy. Nice thing about the oils is a day or two later you can come back and work them some more.

Spit014.jpg

Spit015.jpg

Spit016.jpg

Not sure my color selection is right. This looks too dark. I think this is where that artistic mojo comes to play.

Spit017.jpg

I could have sworn I got some shots after I got the colors blended and thinned out. I'll get some tomorrow.

Working oil stains around the cowl, or is this a bonnett?
Spit018.jpg
Spit019.jpg

Still have some more work to do blending but I don't want to be too subtle.

Any thoughts suggestions or LOL is appreciated.

Moon Puppy said:
Port wing has filter on it, starboard does not.

Looking at these photos, looks like it may be too heavy. Nice thing about the oils is a day or two later you can come back and work them some more.

Spit014.jpg

Bob,

personally, I think the brush marks need addressing. One way, well the easiest way to deal with brush marks is by stippling. Jabbing a damp brush at the surface will break up the brush strokes. Make sure the brush is damp and not wet though, take off as much thinner as you can and then start brushing another object, if you can see the brush leaving a wet spot keep doing it because it's too wet. Once the brush is barely leaving any moisture on an object then use it on the wing.

Moon Puppy said:
Spit016.jpg

Not sure my color selection is right. This looks too dark. I think this is where that artistic mojo comes to play.

Spit017.jpg

This is a good example as to why I am not a big 'dot filter' fan. You can see all the colors you used in your first photo, yet the second photo shows basically one color left behind as they have all seemingly blended together. When I use oils, I prefer to work one color, or 'like' colors at the same time to avoid this, it takes me longer but I have more control.

Moon Puppy said:
Working oil stains around the cowl, or is this a bonnett?
Spit018.jpg
Spit019.jpg

Still have some more work to do blending but I don't want to be too subtle.

Any thoughts suggestions or LOL is appreciated.

Again, try some stippling to get rid of those brush marks. Subtlety can actually be a good thing, oils can get darker/more pronounced as they dry, you really don't want to be able to see a filter, only the effect it has on the color.

So was it a double dog dare MP to paint the bottom black/white?
I've tried dot filtering before too and it's definitely a technique that seems to need a good bit of experimentation. I've seen ChuckW's and I can see some of those other colors come through, but like Ken was saying, whenever I do it, I can only get the one blended color to come through. Perhaps doing it in sections?
Bird looks fantastic though man!!

Hey Ken, thanks for the drop in!

Yeah the brush marks are overboard. I took a quick look at it this am on the way out the door and it seems to be settling down now that it's drying out more. I'll have some more pictures this evening if time permits and we'll see how they look under the camera now.

I may have had the colors too dense and too dark, again that artistic mojo kicks in with you guys who know what you're doing. Using colors that complement the base will show better. You may be right, more could be less...wait...Less could be more..Thats it.

Myke, yeah I didn't know the Black and White scheme was used during BoB. I had seen the Red and white Parrot scheme of Galland Circus FW190s but not this.

Like so many techniques out there, it's practice practice practice. We'll see what it looks like when I get off work. 8)

Well here's where we start this afternoon. After a night of drying time port wing still looks too thick. Starboard not so bad.

Spit020.jpg

MP how do you find the Airfix kit? Level of detail, flash, injection pins, sprue connections, that sort of thing. I'm just wondering.

Found it at Spruebrothers... ;D

Seriously...It was not bad at all. The cockpit is very spartan but with it closed up you can't see anything down in there anyway. No flash, no fit issues. I thkn there was a spot aft of where the wing assembled meets the fus that may require some fudging but other than that, not what you come to expect from the Airfix reputation of old.

And calling this one done.

Spit021.jpg

Spit022.jpg

Spit023.jpg

Spit024.jpg

I really need to work on chipping and oil stains. Seeing how you can't see either I think i failed on that. Did a simple dot filter over the wings, don't know if you can tell that at all. I really need to get all these steps done on one kit and maybe I can weather it up like it deserves.

I think she looks great :) ....nice little Spit .well done .

Chris.

Latest posts

Back