Airfix 1/72 Spitfire Mk1a (New Tool)

TheJackal

I'm not really organised enough to do a proper documented WIP/build, but here is a pic of my current progress on this kit. Very well molded and sharp panel lines, and a bargain for the price.
5eyckh.jpg

I normally hate 1/72 because of the lack of detail and scale, but this is very good.
Definitely put me in the mood to do some more Airfix new tools like the 1/48 Me 109e.

Just got the new sabre from airfix I'm doing a review for a magazine on it. Airfix's new kits are nice and don't lack the odd bit of detail here and there :)

I personally like the larger panel lines. Alot of people are moaning about them (mainly the rivet counters lol).
I think it adds definition for when you use a wash. Plus I'd rather have that than raised panel lines.
The Mig and the Sabre will probably be next on my list as well. I may even join the Airfix club to get them free as the club kit.

Primed and ready for paint....
kehulv.jpg
w98tpk.jpg
In terms of the Sky paint for the underside I have both Tamiya XF-21 and Revell 59 Himmelblau. Both seems practically the same but a lot greener than I see on most other Spitfire models made. Should I add a touch of white or light grey to tone it down a bit.
I'm not mad about historical accuracy but I think the tinge of green may be a bit garish.
Thanks

Just go with what you think is best. If you're not a stickler about historical accuracy then you set yourself to take a little leeway. It's look great so far. :)

An update!!
Now you've picked yourself up off the floor, I gave myself a kick up the arse and got stuck in with the Blu-Tac this afternoon. Here are the result of my first camo job since I was about ten.
mh4xy.jpg
e12hyq.jpg

That looks great man! No overspray, clean lines. Very cool.

- I keep calling everyone 'man' - lol. I don't know all of your names yet...doh.

That blu-tack is a great way to camo. Cool.

The paint turned out nice. :)

Decalling started after a few coats of Klear. Micro Sol is amazing at getting the decals to sit down in the panel lines. Still to do underneath and then another coat of Klear. Then a panel wash and some weathering, and then a nice flat cote.
2urv6n6.jpg

Finished at last! First plane I have finished since I was a kid (41 now lol)
Pretty pleased how it turned out and used it to hone and learn some new skills especially using my airbrush. Hopefully this will spur me on to finish more of my many started kits. If it is good enough for the gallery I will take some pictures on a proper clear background.
1zq4j.jpg
156simd.jpg
2lak21.jpg

Latest posts

Back