Advice on Candians in Jeeps WWII

LOL! I thought you were joking.

European Theater of Operations

;)

*versus the PTO-Pacific Theater of Operations... etc.

lol i must admit i was wondering what he ment by eto also :)

I was about the Oregon bit...first thing that came up on Google.

Dude...If I can't find it on Google, then I'm oblivious.

Sorry, must be a Yank thing. I always thought it was fairly well known.

MTO-Mediterranean Theater of Operations (North Africa/Sicily/Italy)
PTO-Pacific Theater of Operations (Island battles with the Japanese)
ETO-European Theater of Operations (Europe...duh)

Cool.

I hope to get more info from Mom and my brother is gonna dig around too...he lives in what was my Grandfather's house.

cool, i hope your brother can find what you are after,

lol - you almost had me there.

I just found this online:

The Rangers, reorganized as the 10th Independent Machine Gun Company (The New Brunswick Rangers), landed in Normandy on 26 June, 1944 and fought as a part of the 10th Infantry Brigade, 4th Canadian (Armoured) Division from Normandy to Bad Zwischenahn. The active unit was disbanded on 15 February, 1946. A 2nd Battalion served in the Reserve Army.

A tangent, but looking through the New Brunswick archives I found this...kinda neat.

10-8.jpg

Recycled “Scout Car”, used in peat bogs, Shippagan (not too far from here)

SCOTT ,

I thought I'd give ya a lil' Zinger !

Although from what you posted on th intel of th Rangers ... 10th M.G. Co. .. sounds more than likely that He was shootin' a Bren ?? They finished up in Germany ... It's plausible they went through Belgium ... Although I'm not up on th Allied Armies of WWII ..... so I'll stop now & let those in th know .. enlighten Us ! ;D

Th "Scout Car" that you posted looks cool ! Especially as an After-Life candidate ? Cool find !

Would he have possibly mistaken a Jeep for a Universal Carrier? Lots of times they were referred to as a Bren Gun Carrier.

bren.jpg

This one from a parade in downtown Fredericton, belongs to Brad Mills from Truro, NS

Canada%20Holland%20Remembers%202010%20Liberation%20Parade%20Brad%20Mills%20Bren%20Gun%20Carrier.jpg

Just got a call from my brother. He found a box with Mac's original member cards, a couple of letters from the government, some medals etc...He was a Sgt, serving under Major Coy.

10th Canadian Independant Infantry Bde. There is a France and German 'star' in the box too.

Some stuff here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/10th_Canadian_Infantry_Brigade

Not quite sure what to make of this. I'm going to pick up the box sometime and have a look.

oh cool some headway, i presume thiose ae the medals for servering in the countrys??

Must be...right?

There are 2 guys living that served we him. We need to interview them. My brother is just recalling a story now where Mac was in a big 'ditch' and the water was getting poluted with fuel.

+++

Battle of Moerbrugge
The 10th Canadian Infantry Brigade was tasked to cross the Ghent Canal about five kilometers south of Bruges at a small village called Oostkamp in early September 1944. Directly across the canal from Oostkamp was another small village named Moerbrugge. The canal is about 20 metres wide and very deep. Opposition was not expected so only one battalion was chosen for the crossing: The Argyll and Sutherland Highlanders of Canada (Princess Louise's), the Argylls.

Two batteries of the 15th Field Regiment, RCA were placed in support and The South Alberta Regiment (SARs) would place its tanks on the friendly side of the canal at either side of the crossing point and hold the flanks of the crossing with their fire along with the Vickers machine guns of The New Brunswick Rangers. The 3-inch (76 mm) mortars of the Argylls and the 4.2-inch (110 mm) mortars of the Rangers were in support.

you seem to be having fun with this one scott, its always great to find info like this. you could be reading for hours ;D

Latest posts

Back