Academy P-38F "Glacier Girl"

rookie

This is not a toy
G'day Folks,

Here is a certified shelf queen that I decided I would finish before I started anything else ( with the exeption of a few that I have started ! )anyway, you know what I mean. I need some closure on this!

So I just about finished this thing, got her all painted up even did a panel line wash. Normaly I will atttach the landing gear last as it is quite fragile.

8195898684_3c3c8fda5e.jpg

8194803839_eda3d53123.jpg

8195894492_0f712f64f6.jpg

The instructions called for some weight to be inserted in the nose, I bought some ball sinkers from the local tackle shop and thought I'd put enough in there... can you see where this is going?

Yup not enough weight in the nose, so when I attached the gear it was doing wheelies ;D.

Surgery was required , cut the nose off added more weight and stuck it back on, even touched up the grey.

8194796737_fbb3b085f8.jpg

8194798999_ca30b707e7.jpg

And thats pretty much where it has sat for the last 8-9 months. So I decided to pull it back out and finish it off.

Masked up the canopy and camo lines ready for the olive drab touch ups

8195887414_c19ec869d7.jpg

8195882882_b05d9299fd.jpg

8195872548_11f016b283.jpg

Big difference with the colour, i'm hoping that will sort itself out once it dries and another coat of clear is applies.

I'm planning on doing this as a nice clean build with no weathering as the subject depicts a restored aircraft.

Cool story to ...check it out here..

http://www.warbirddepot.com/aircraft_fighters_p38-lewis.asp

Thanks for looking :)

Things are lookin great!

I've seen the documentary on this 38, very cool. Certainly better outcome than that b-29....

How's the kit itself? I've been looking at it for some time now. Any nasty fit issues?

Cheers!

Ferris- kit was good, as are most of Academy kits I've built. Plenty of scope to detail up , but mostly went together like a dream. Just remember to put enough weight in the nose LOL!

Nice fix on the nose. Looking forward to seeing more as the Glacier Girl moves off your "Shelf queen" list.

Great work so far. I saw "Glacier Girl" at an airshow a few years ago and you certainly are doing her justice!

Geegad - assume you are refering to the canopy masking, did that my self with a nice shiny new blade.

I've since sprayed some clear over the resprayed parts and it blended in perfectly. Hope to get to the decals in the next day or 2 and will post some more pics when done.

Cheers!

Looking good Rookie :) ,Its amazing how much darker paint goes with a coat of clear isnt it ! ,thats why I nearly always lighten my colours a bit to start with , but a matt coat usually brings them back a bit too :)

Chris.

Got some decals on last night, still needs another sealing coat of flat and the gear doors to be fitted, canopy is only placed on for the pics.

009-Copy3.jpg
008-Copy3.jpg
007-Copy3.jpg
006-Copy3.jpg
005-Copy3.jpg
004-Copy3.jpg
003-Copy3.jpg

Thanks for looking :)

Finished this up last night, gear doors on and canopy fixed in place. Plenty I could have done differently on this one the seams could have done with some better prep, but I started this one early on in my short modelling life and have learnt plenty since then.
Not much different from my last post, but hey I can call it finished
1fc9eeda07093d69f4459a51d1368d98.jpg
352a64c3a28a25bd3680c58528007529.jpg

Thanks For looking :)

Sweet ride. I think it is cool that you can see your own skills are advancing.

rook she looks sharp. I can see in your pics that there are rivets along the panel lines. None on my Minicraft kit. Now that requires patience to place all those rivets. But nice job on this plane. So many curves and compound surfaces to attend to. You did it justice!

Latest posts

Back