A Tale of Two Emil's...

Jeeves

OK-- so even though this is mostly about a comparison build of the newer Airfix and older Tamiya 109E4's, I am planning on putting this on a base with the Luftwaffe at Rest figure set and the Tamiya flak gun that I finished here:
002%7E18.jpg

Now onto the comparing...the Airfix kit has been revamped and looks pretty good overall...a few things are out-shined by the older Tamiya kit-- but as you will see, they are pretty similar. The attachment points for the Tamiya sprues are smaller and easier to clean up...and as you'll see in the pics...the Airfix sprues are a light grey in color while the Tamiya sprues are dark grey...first off-- the wing assembly...the only real difference is Airfix gives you the option of two different cannon ports (left side)...since the kit actually covers through the -7 Emils as well...might be good or bad...I'll let you know when I see what gaps are present when I attach the port
003%7E20.jpg

The prop assembly is pretty similar-- but the edge goes to Tamiya (left) for the detail on the hub...
004%7E17.jpg

Now onto the cockpit area...the Airfix side panels have more ejection marks...but the detail is nice...I added the yellow wiring to both Emils...
006%7E15.jpg

The Airfix kit also has the trim wheels attach as separate pieces to the seat...very delicate...
005%7E18.jpg

The Tamiya kit is very similar...except one trim wheel is molded onto the sidewall already...more tricky to paint-- but less likely to damage when removing...
008%7E9.jpg
007%7E12.jpg

The real difference so far-- the engine area. Tamiya on the left shows virtually nothing there-- giving you no option to show it off. the Airfix features a rather nice engine with loads to detail...I added a decal for the serial number from some spare decals...
011%7E6.jpg

So-- which instrument panel is more detailed...even Dolpho can't tell!!
009%7E5.jpg
Normally I break out my punches and slap in some dial faces...but the molding on both of these was nice enough to just highlight with a Prismacolor pencil...once it is inside, it will be difficult to see all my work :(

Love the idea, interested to watch the comparisons too, cant wait to see more Jeeves...

Thanks everyone...some progress since I posted but nothing pic-worthy yet...hopefully later today ;)

Thanks Steven!

Told you this wasn't going to be exactly daily ;)

Have most everything together...will soon paint the light blue underneath...and then the top coat will have to wait until my first paycheck comes in the middle of Sept...will have to start working on the base until then methinks...

Here is the two fuselages put together so far-- Airfix first...
001%7E21.jpg
002%7E19.jpg

The sprue attachment points are very thin...so the leading edge slats and flaps were a little too easy to nick...will have to work on fixing them...

The Tamiya--
004%7E18.jpg
005%7E19.jpg

While the Tamiya just seems a bit crisper, one cannot deny that Airfix really improved things with this re;ease. The details are a bit softer-- but that doesn't really take away from them-- it looks great-- and the extras really open up more possibilities than the Tamiya kit.

Dolpho is not a fan of the seams yet to be cleaned up...
006%7E16.jpg

First off-- picked up something for atop the engine...
002%7E21.jpg

Some more painting progress...all the amazingly difficult to paint yellow areas...still could probably use another coat, but damn does the yellow make a mess of the airbrush! First is the Airfix kit...
005%7E20.jpg

Tamiya:
004%7E20.jpg

Thanks guys...

Yeah...combining a build blog and a build review into one just seemed like something different enough to try and it also gives me more appreciation for the different directions that two well-established model companies take in a similar model...

How do you plan on fitting the cannons when the cannon cover is already in place ?

Chris.

Hey Chris...

The MG-17s are actually the cowl-mounted machine guns which I'll install on top of the engine of the Airfix kit once I scratch build the mounts for it...

I know what you are saying ,but the guns sit further back and the covers for them are molded on the fuselage,its only the barrels that sit over the engine a bit ,the guns are actually mounted right infront of the cockpit .

Chris.

Ah gotcha...

I'm only opening up the cowling on one side and since there isn't detail from the engine back, I'll compare the barrels of this to the kit ones and either trim one back or just save them for another project...I plan on having a maintenance stand up so I could also have these in a crate ready to be installed...

Hows the 'E's going ? ...anymore done yet :) ....I do like 109's :)

Chris.

Thanks for checking in Chris...

Unfortunately teaching in NY has become a bit more challenging...we have to write up a preassessment for our students to compare to the end of year school...if there is improvement at the end- good evaluation...if not-- bad. Seems simple enough except for when the kids are in 9th grade with a 3rd or 4th grade reading level. So not much time to model as of yet...hopefully soon!

Well-- as usual...once I get to the paint stage I get sort of stalled ;) The two LHS's here aren't great about keeping their paints up to date and in stock...so I had to improvise on one color of the camo...here it is for both:

002%7E24.jpg
001%7E26.jpg

The CMD is a bit cold as we are into fall here so I had to finally turn on the space heater....hopefully this paint will cure quick so I can get the second color on...

Painting nearly done...
005%7E25.jpg

Now to do the splotches on the sides...pray I don't mess up!!

Think you will do fine with the splotches Mike!! The pair is looking great btw!! Your a busy boy lately!! Keep it going!!! ;)

Latest posts

Back