3‐D printed figures and glue (cement)

GaryG64

I recently recieved my winter figures from an ebay company. Tamiya cement did not work on connecting an arm. So, my second attempt I gave each part a sanding to give it some "tooth". Again I added some extra thin, the cement just soaked into the parts... well, that won't work. So, I tried my Gorilla super glue — that too wasn't working very good. I had to really hold those pieces alot longer than usual but I got it to stick.
Is there a special bonding agent to use on 3-D parts?

I recently recieved my winter figures from an ebay company. Tamiya cement did not work on connecting an arm. So, my second attempt I gave each part a sanding to give it some "tooth". Again I added some extra thin, the cement just soaked into the parts... well, that won't work. So, I tried my Gorilla super glue — that too wasn't working very good. I had to really hold those pieces alot longer than usual but I got it to stick.
Is there a special bonding agent to use on 3-D parts?
It's going to depend on the material. Tamiya cement is made to attach styrene to styrene, so unless your figures are made from styrene, I wouldn't use any styrene cement on them.
I don't know what Gorilla Glue's super glue has as a main ingredient, but I would try a cyanoacrylate glue, aka CA glue or popularly as "super glue", or a 2-part epoxy cement. Are the join surfaces simply flat surfaces, are there any keys or lugs and holes molded into the parts? If not, I'd also pin the parts, with fine wire, just to add some strength.

I thought to add, too, that if your figures are in resin, then CA glue should work pretty well, but I prefer to use 2-part epoxy, myself. I think the bond is stronger and withstands shear forces better than CA glue, especially when the join is a butt join. If the parts are semi-permeable, so the glue soaks in a bit, that would help with the join, too.
I use Bob Smith Industries CA and expoxy glues.

I thought to add, too, that if your figures are in resin, then CA glue should work pretty well, but I prefer to use 2-part epoxy, myself. I think the bond is stronger and withstands shear forces better than CA glue, especially when the join is a butt join. If the parts are semi-permeable, so the glue soaks in a bit, that would help with the join, too.
I use Bob Smith Industries CA and expoxy glues.
Bob Smith is good stuff. I have the accelerator.
Thanks for the info, brother. It seems I need to add an epoxy to my inventory, anyway.

Latest posts

Back