D-Day collective build?

Mycatistypingthis

Hi! D-day will be 80 years ago come June, and I read about an idea for a commemorative build.

I really like that idea, and am going for a "beer delivery" Spitfire mk IX as well as a Tempest.

Would anyone else care to join me in this?

As proposed:
  • Any subject regarding the landing, preparations of the operation and subsequent days are allowed.
  • Due date is June 1st so we can compile the results.
  • If you can, a bit of story about the real people involved is really nice.

Last edited:
Hi! D-day will be 80 years ago come June, and I read about an idea for a commemorative build.

I really like that idea, and am going for a "beer delivery" Spitfire mk IX as well as a Tempest.

Would anyone else care to join me in this?
I will give it a go. Remind me nearer the time. Pantherman

I’m skipping this one I’m already involved in a couple of Group Builds in another forum site. We don’t call it Commemorative Builds.

It's a great idea! But I'll just watch from my front porch. I don't join group builds anymore, because my builds are so slow, mine end up on the Shelf of Doom. I'm still working on my entry in my club's group build from 2022. The subject was Tamiya, any Tamiya kit. I had their 1/35 T-rex diorama kit in my stash, so I entered that. I have Rexy assembled and a first coat of color down. That's 2 years after we started.

As for the subject, it can be fun. A while back, the Region II show was held in our area, outside Cherry Hill, NJ. A couple of us collaborated on a diorama depicting the Red Ball Express. All in 1/72 scale, on a 2'x2' base. We divvied up the tasks. I built a couple of trucks and painted figures, another guy did the base and buildings, and another added some more vehicles and figures. We had a great time getting together to work on it.

That looks like a really nice kit. Pantherman
It is, PM! I remember when that came out in the 70s. Monogram really hit a high point with the C-47 and the other large airplane kits. They were so well-detailed, had nice figures (like the stick of paratroopers with this one), and most had Shep Paine's "Tips on Building Dioramas" included. It was a great time to be a modeler! Not that it isn't today, but I still enjoy building Monogram's kits from those years.

Latest posts

Back