What to do with old built model kits?

ohbejuan

What to do with old built kits?

I don't want to assume anything about folks her, but is it true that most people keep and display their models?

I am not interested in doing that very often. I will keep a couple around. But honestly, I find it a burden to kep the whole bunch. I hate to throw them away. Anyone have other ideas? I would love to give them away. But I am not sure I know anyone who wants them. Sell them on Ebay for $1 plus shipping? I don't want to ruin the market if that is a thing. Maybe sell them on etsy?

If you don't want built kits I would try Etsy if you want to make a couple bucks. There are less fees on Etsy than there are on Ebay.

Like someone else suggested, a VFW might be interested in military models.

If you live in a large enough city with a science museum, maybe they would be interested in some of them.

And car models could possibly be displayed at local dealerships or racetracks?

I would also ask a local hobby shop. My model car club has a display in our local hobby shop. We change out the cars every other month or so.

If the kits are military models you might check with your local VFW and see if they are interested in displaying any of your builds. Our local VFW has several on display.
this is a nice idea.
If you don't want built kits I would try Etsy if you want to make a couple bucks. There are less fees on Etsy than there are on Ebay.

Like someone else suggested, a VFW might be interested in military models.

If you live in a large enough city with a science museum, maybe they would be interested in some of them.

And car models could possibly be displayed at local dealerships or racetracks?

I would also ask a local hobby shop. My model car club has a display in our local hobby shop. We change out the cars every other month or so.
another good suggestion! thanks!

It's an old and much-discussed question. Displaying my finished models is enough of an issue that it's affected my building. I just don't have the room to display all of the models in my stash, if I ever built them all. So I've slowed down significantly.
I couldn't bring myself to blow up a model I built, even when I was a kid.
But yeah, what to do with your finished models. You could also try libraries in your area, too.
Unfortunately, for many of us, and what we've built, our survivors will wind up throwing our work out.

It's an old and much-discussed question. Displaying my finished models is enough of an issue that it's affected my building. I just don't have the room to display all of the models in my stash, if I ever built them all. So I've slowed down significantly.
I couldn't bring myself to blow up a model I built, even when I was a kid.
But yeah, what to do with your finished models. You could also try libraries in your area, too.
Unfortunately, for many of us, and what we've built, our survivors will wind up throwing our work out.
I am with you on the slow down. I've done the same thing after looking at my space and stash and it's keeping me from buying more. So far so good. I've got enough to last if I maintain a good pace.

I should add what I do with old unwanted models.....

I haven't been building that long. Maybe 6 years. And what I do with older models and models that aren't done as well is I take them apart and strip them down. Keep parts I could reuse like wheels and tires, or engines mainly. Then sometimes I'll hold on to the bodies for test painting.

I should add what I do with old unwanted models.....

I haven't been building that long. Maybe 6 years. And what I do with older models and models that aren't done as well is I take them apart and strip them down. Keep parts I could reuse like wheels and tires, or engines mainly. Then sometimes I'll hold on to the bodies for test painting.
This is a good tip. I do keep extra parts, or parts from abandoned kits for this purpose! If I am trying a new paint technique I do this.

I started a new tradition. Models I'm ready to part with and aren't totally embarrassing, I put on my front stoop with a post-it that says Free Fun. Then I try to capture a person's expression/interest as they walk by. I love it when they smile, pick it up and walk away.

Latest posts

Back