Oil paints and thinner

GaryG64

If I use oil paints for a wood effect do I use thinner or mineral spirits?

Look for the odorless version. Mineral spirits (aka white spirit or mineral turpentine) have a characteristic unpleasant kerosene-like odor. Odorless mineral spirits have been further refined to remove the more toxic aromatic compounds, and is recommended for applications such as oil painting, where humans have close contact with the solvent. Artist supply stores usually carry a version called Turpenoid, but you can get the generic at hardware & home improvement stores for cheaper.

Look for the odorless version. Mineral spirits (aka white spirit or mineral turpentine) have a characteristic unpleasant kerosene-like odor. Odorless mineral spirits have been further refined to remove the more toxic aromatic compounds, and is recommended for applications such as oil painting, where humans have close contact with the solvent. Artist supply stores usually carry a version called Turpenoid, but you can get the generic at hardware & home improvement stores for cheaper.

Actually I am not sure the "petroleum distillates" type of odorless Turpenoid is necessarily "safe"

IIRC it is still basically the same properties as turpentine, but without the smell

Maybe it is less toxic, but at the very least, I believe the vapors are still harmful based on the bottle warnings, and unlike the smellier stuff, you may be unintentionally breathing in more/exposing yourself longer but not realize it since you do not have the smell associated with it

I guess bottom line is you still have to take the same precautions like using in well ventilated area etc..

Now there is supposedly a true "non-toxic Turpenoid" branded as Turpenoid Natural (has a green label). It is "formulated from the natural essence of citrus products and other natural sources"

Have not tried it myself so I can't comment on how well or not it works

Latest posts

Back