Paint, and coverage

GaryG64

I am a staunch Vallejo user. The red I ordered won't be here for 10 days. I did not want to wait that long, so I went to a local hobby shop and bought the Citadel & Inktensity.
The Vallejo I have does not seem to be a bright enough red.
Out of the two new ones, Citadel & Inktensity, does anyone have experience in using these two in an airbrush, is there any thinning that needs to be done, and how is the coverage?

Thanks

20231013_155142.jpg

I don't have personal experience with those paints but here's a youtube video on using the citadel in an airbrush.

My current favorite channel is Barbatos Rex - he does a lot of testing of various paints, mainly for airbrush use...he also tests inexpensive airbrushes...I've purchased a couple based on his recommendations and am happy with them.
Oh yeah. I've seen his reviews. I like that guy.
Thanks. I'll head to his channel.

Not a huge fan of Vallejo paint line due to their rubbery/vinyl feel when dry.

However…. Model Color is not made for airbrush use. You need to get Model Air. Some folks say Model Color can be airbrushed but I’ve had zero success airbrushing Model Color line.

Red is a hard color to airbrush (yellow even harder). Best way to achieve the red, spray in several light coats until you find the desired shade you’re looking for.

Vallejo doesn’t have a great selection of different shades of red
compared to other paint brands.

Not a huge fan of Vallejo paint line due to their rubbery/vinyl feel when dry.

However…. Model Color is not made for airbrush use. You need to get Model Air. Some folks say Model Color can be airbrushed but I’ve had zero success airbrushing Model Color line.

Red is a hard color to airbrush (yellow even harder). Best way to achieve the red, spray in several light coats until you find the desired shade you’re looking for.

Vallejo doesn’t have a great selection of different shades of red
compared to other paint brands.
Thanks for your feedback.

The only way (I found out with my Vallejo black) to paint Model Color, with an airbrush is to the dilute a lot with black wash. It seems to work OK - not great just OK. Model Air is better fir that, of course.
I've fairly good luck with reds and yellow, as long as my under color is a white or even a silver, believe it or not. :p

I tried the Inktensity for airbrush. It covers very well! I think those paints are mostly used by gamers, since that is the type of store I got them from. (I know next to zero about those games).
Inktensity has a very opaque coverage and does not require a multilayer buildup. Should one chose to buildup I'm sure that would be possible to do so.

I'm still a Vallejo guy with a few other brands scattered about.

I understand that certain brands do not appeal to certain modelers, so I guess that's why there are a number of brands to chose from.

Latest posts

Back