1/72 TIE Defender

nicholassagan

sippin on gin + juice
This guy has been sitting in my bin for sometime now and lately the itch to build him just kept getting stronger and stronger. I figured this would be a good time because I can get some steps done during the in-between stages on a couple of other builds (both posts coming soon!). It’s also a fairly straight-forward build because it needs very little work to be built up nicely. REL (Richard Long, Sovereign Replicas) patterned this a few years back and sold off the master to JBOT.

tiedef01.jpg

Here’s a list of the modifications I’ve done (all it “needs”):

wings were a little misshapen so I heated and fixed
tiedef02.jpg

tiedef03.jpg

sanded down canopy panel to allow a flush fit for the clear resin canopy
tiedef05.jpg

tiedef06.jpg

added some detail to the rear opening in each wing
tiedef11.jpg

added small steel tubes to replace the laser cannon barrels
tiedef12.jpg

tiedef13.jpg

more progress
tiedef04.jpg

tiedef07.jpg

tiedef08.jpg

tiedef09.jpg

tiedef10.jpg

tiedef15.jpg

tiedef16.jpg

tiedef17.jpg

tiedef18.jpg

tiedef19.jpg

tiedef20.jpg

tiedef21.jpg

tiedef22.jpg

I could have hollowed out the cockpit ball pretty easily but I didn’t really want to deal with a cockpit build up for this one. It’ll be badass enough. God, I just love the shape of this fighter!

not as bad as a 1/144 version though, right???

and it's not as bad as you think: the width of my tape roll is EXACTLY the width of the panels!! so i can just lay the tape down then run a sharp blade down the frame to trim. the trickier parts are going to be the centers... :-\

This is by far my favorite Tie Fighter. it appeared in the Tie Fighter video games.

It was incredibly OP in the X-Wing vs Tie-Fighter games! I loved flying this ship. Took out many Calamari Cruisers with it! ;D

Looks like a superb model Nick. Loving the additions you've made. I like what I see!

Thanks guys! This really is a quick kit!!!

Wings masked, whole thing painted with Haze gray from the bottle, masks removed, flat black touch up, cool gray wash applied + cleaned….

Tonight/tomorrow will be dry brushing, scorch marking, detailing, flat coating and engine adding. Pics to follow after the weekend so i can get back into the studio on Monday.

tiedef23.jpg

tiedef24.jpg

tiedef25.jpg

tiedef26.jpg

tiedef27.jpg

tiedef28.jpg

tiedef29.jpg

tiedef30.jpg

Very awesome work, I love all these Star Wars kits. I have a few in the stash but just cant seem to get around to them. lol.

Excellent build !

COngratulations !
THis Tie Defender is a real beauty.

Magnificent Nick! Superb looking model, loving the decals. Looks like this guys made quite a few kills. 8)

Latest posts

Back