1/48 Boeing AH-64D Longbow Apache

adampolo13

So, my PE arrived today so I can officially enter the 2013 BSC!

A Hasegawa 1/48 Boeing AH-64D Longbow Apache. It's going to be a few days until I get started on this. I'm going down to CT for a modeling seminar and I'm going to be picking up a new AB. ;D

So, here is my entry picture.

2013-03-04_16-49-08_296_zps1f457f9d.jpg

Good luck!

Love it, Love it! Looking forward to seeing all that PE on there. Been wanting to add this to my collection.
Bookmarked

Haha, thanks ER but no. I've been pretty busy this week. Hopefully going to get a start on it after this weekends seminar in Connecticut.

Alright, so after a little pushing and prodding by Scott and others I sneaked out to the garage and cracked open this bad boy.

First thing up in the directions, the cockpit.
IMG_0528_zpsd09f370d.jpg

I also purchased the Eduard set for this I made sure to review the PE instructions as well.
IMG_0529_zps94df78fe.jpg

Here's a close up of the cockpit zoom PE
IMG_0532_zps7fc640fe.jpg

IMG_0534_zpsd46c32f1.jpg

First thing I did was clean up the cockpit tube. (There's a little bit of flash here and there)
IMG_0539_zps9b278c14.jpg

Then a quick dry fit, everything seems to line up nicely.
IMG_0537_zps330f6891.jpg

IMG_0538_zpsc4b77731.jpg

Here is a quick pic to show the scale of this bird.
IMG_0535_zps5a6c281b.jpg

On to the shots of the PE. There were a few spots where I had to shave a little plastic off to get the PE to fit snug but nothing crazy.
IMG_0540_zpsb884f345.jpg

IMG_0542_zpsb0aec9af.jpg

The the flight controls are temporarily put in place in preparation for paint:
IMG_0544_zps28b41021.jpg

IMG_0545_zps21c89943.jpg

To finish things up I put a coat of Flat Black on all of this. I've checked my references and this is accurate. My problem is this. How do I bring out the details etc? I'm thinking to cover this flat black with a layer of Future and then give it a few washes, but with what??? And then what do I do, hit it was a flat clear? Any suggestions on the next step would be greatly appreciated. I will post pics of the flat black as it sits now. It was still wet when I came in from the garage.

Thanks for watching!

I'm interested here because I almost picked this kit up for this. I'm eyes and ears Adam.

Thanks for the comments Glorfindel! Not sure if you saw or not, but one of the prizes for the contest is this kit. ;)

The Apache is my all time favourite helicopter! Sadly I dropped the last one I built and it shattered into a hundred pieces :'(

I'm looking forward to seeing this one go together :)

You may want to try some drybrushing to bring out the detail if you've got it coated in black.
Silver would be a good choice.

Should be a nice bird when done

Quaralane said:
You may want to try some drybrushing to bring out the detail if you've got it coated in black.
Silver would be a good choice.

Should be a nice bird when done

Thanks Q. I'll give that a shot.

When I did the inside of the Blackhawk, I used Tamiya GunMetal to drybrush and picked out the details with various colors for buttons and knobs that weren't addressed by the colored photoetch kit. I expect this to be crazy good :)

Thanks TBadger! It's going to be a little bit of a wait... My el cheapo harbor freight compressor burned out tonight. $100 bucks and 4 years later and it finally quit. I think I got a deal on that one. Anyways, the wife green lit me spending a bit of cash on a nice compressor so what you guys go for suggestions?

Latest posts

Back