1/48 B-17G Chowhound

fightnjoe

i keep turning up....just like a bad penny....
Well time to start another project.

This will be a familiar one with just a bit of a familiar twist.

boxart_zpsq1nk74gi.jpg

This will be for a tribute build on YouTube. The Year of the Dog.

More soon.

Joe

First up will be to show you what I have begun to collect for this build.

A-Start-2_zpshgekqlll.jpg

A-Start-1_zpswijavptn.jpg

For most this will be enough to tell you what the twist will be.

More to come.....

Joe

As with all builds there is a starting point.

For this build it starts with the kit pieces. For me it means what do I need to do to prep this for what I am planning to do. This kit as most know, has a lot of moulded in detail. It all has to go. For my plan to work it needs to be a clean slate. I also need to remove all the positioning points for the flooring and bulkheads. For that I will need to fashion different ones that will be out of sight when I cut into the fuselage.

So out came the white glue and the flooring and bulkheads were set into place.

Kit-1_zpssyeq3h4h.jpg

Kit-2_zps2maaaik4.jpg

Kit-3_zps8id3jiii.jpg

Kit-4_zpsoeq4abxf.jpg

Kit-5_zpse1bm5ech.jpg

Kit-6_zpskbu2am7x.jpg

Kit-7_zpsdhuyhhek.jpg

Kit-8_zpsiwaticcq.jpg

Kit-9_zpsq9jge4rz.jpg

Kit-10_zpsvx7xscex.jpg

May take a while to get through the detail to a clean slate.

Joe

So you're planning to remove all the moulded in detail? Cool. That will likely take a while as you say.

What are you thoughts on these older Revell aircraft kits? They sell them locally at Michaels and I've always wondered if they'd build up nicely without being too much work.

Judging by all that raw styrene, I'd say you're going to do another cutaway, Joe.
Impressive

Thanks for looking in.

Scott Girvan said:
So you're planning to remove all the moulded in detail? Cool. That will likely take a while as you say.

What are you thoughts on these older Revell aircraft kits? They sell them locally at Michaels and I've always wondered if they'd build up nicely without being too much work.

Scott I like the older Revell kits. The offer quite a bit of detail for oob builds and a huge foundation for detail work.

Joe

Very cool Joe (just don't forget about that ONE OH NINE).

I actually started the exact same kit - now sitting in a shelf queen parking spot. I'll have to get back to the '17 after the contest...I'm sure your build will inspire me to finish it up.

Jason

Jason I will not forget the 109. That I can promise.

I do hope my work does inspire you.

Joe

Just a quickie of an update to show the first cuts.

Large chunks have been cut out to show different areas of the interior. What you see is after six hours of grinding, sanding, repeat.

This will turn out good, I hope.

You will also notice I have drilled and then cut out the access doors. These will be cleaned up and the edges thinned a bit.

First-Cuts-1_zpsjmbqhetc.jpg

First-Cuts-2_zpsf6hiqpgq.jpg

First-Cuts-3_zpszfdmpynj.jpg

First-Cuts-4_zpswlxgknab.jpg

First-Cuts-5_zps5ssitgmc.jpg

First-Cuts-6_zpst5eqptlv.jpg

First-Cuts-7_zpsia3xzcqw.jpg

Next up will be to clean up the cuts and move into the interior with grinding and sanding away that detail.

All comments, critiques, and criticism are encouraged.

Joe

Well I have gotten to what I am calling the final stage of my prep work for the interior of this build. The framing.

One thing to remember, this is not intended to be an exact replica of the actual B-17G. It is intended to give the illusion. For that reason you will notice that I did not put every frame in. Two reasons, the interior would be more than a bit cluttered and I do not have enough styrene strip to actually do each frame. As it is I used three packages of strip. Also please notice that i really only concentrated on the Port side of the fuselage. The Starboard will not be seen as well so I skipped all but what would be seen. After I took the pictures I noticed that there are a few places I need to add some strip and also some backing. All in all I am pretty satisfied with how this looks. I will tidy up the last of it and then starting with the nose the detailing will begin.

Pictures.

Starboard side:

Framing-4_zpsb4tweagj.jpg

Framing-3_zpswgtamk4j.jpg

Port side:

Framing-2_zps59gbeczu.jpg

Framing-1_zps3bbbmyua.jpg

Now there is no framing at the bomb bay area. This is by design as I need to build that up and to do that I will need to do the sides as well as scratch a bomb rack.

More to come....

Joe

This is great, fantastic idea of cutting away sections to show interior. Have never seen done before so will be watching with interest.

Many thanks. There have been some of this kit but not many.

Well here I am yet again.

Time for a smallish update on what is going on.

Work has begun to detail the Nav Station in the bomber nose. I have fabricated some electrical panels and some of the odds and ends that are in the real thing.

First up the Starboard side and the little bit I did, the tank holder and the Drift Meter. Now throughout you will not see wiring yet. I have not gotten that far.

Nav-Station-2_zpsbrurptup.jpg

The different panels and boxes on the Port side.

Nav-Station-1_zpsi1obwmos.jpg

And the flooring of the station.

Nav-Station-3_zpsydlep1ip.jpg

Nav-Station-4_zpswsnhiily.jpg

I will continue on this section and fill it out with the little things and then some of the major objects like the guns and such.

Joe

Latest posts

Back