1/48 B-17G Chowhound

I am back.

The progress will not look like much but it is one subassembly at a time and move forward.

For this update it is all about the bomb sight and the crew access area under the cockpit. For reference the gray is kit, the white is resin (oxygen bottles and Instrument Panel) and styrene.

Wiring is getting done and some things are in place permanently.

Nav-Station-5_zpsoqsbyyug.jpg

The Bomb Sight took a while but it is almost done.

Bomb-Sight-1_zpsf8gnwixe.jpg

Bomb-Sight-2_zpszpwrqklm.jpg

And the crew access area both in place and out.

Crew-Access-4_zpswlyefbpw.jpg

Crew-Access-5_zpszqvxfffe.jpg

Crew-Access-3_zpsauwlzk1l.jpg

Crew-Access-2_zpso7znqng3.jpg

Crew-Access-1_zpsgtnenx11.jpg

Moving forward I plan to keep going on the fabrication and at some point I will start the pit area.

All comments, critiques, and criticism are encouraged.

Joe

I really do appreciate you looking in.

It is still so rough. Not sure all will fit at this point.

Joe

Me again.

Just another small, but to me kind of important, update.

This I believe will be the last picture of the forward sections without paint. That means they should be finished the next time you see them.

The major construction I think is done. All that is left is to plumb it up. So the next step is to paint.

Pictures of the Nav Station.

Nav-Station-8_zpsvc9fjra6.jpg

Nav-Station-6_zpsn45mo6ef.jpg

Nav-Station-10_zpstdd6d34e.jpg

And the work on the pit. This included the seat framing, the Throttle Console, and the Bottles at the rear. Note that the pilot frame is off a bit. That has been fixed. Also the canvass is in place.

Nav-Station-7_zps3axu2n4c.jpg

Nav-Station-9_zpsaui2cmni.jpg

Nav-Station-11_zpsouxxn8ep.jpg

Like I said not much but it is significant in that I am ready to paint this. I hope to have these painted by the end of the weekend. I hope to have these areas finished off in the next week or so.

Joe

Well there has been a bit of a change.

Sometimes you guide a build, sometimes the build guides you. At this moment the build is starting to guide me.

I am not able to proceed the way I wanted to. It just will not happen that way. I need to let the build guide me as to what to do next. To that end I am posting a small update.

I was painting and assembling the cockpit as well as some of the ins and outs of the build and hit a block. I could not proceed without changing what I was doing.

First the pictures.

Some long awaited colour for the front sections.

Interior-Paint-6_zpsxtsredmk.jpg

Interior-Paint-5_zpsbvirnsug.jpg

Interior-Paint-3_zpsh0wmnhzk.jpg

Interior-Paint-4_zpsckcfhxjy.jpg

Interior-Paint-2_zps3zjpldpv.jpg

Interior-Paint-1_zpsdqvh0evy.jpg

Now for the change. I need to continue with the major construction moving toward the tail. The Bomb Bay is next up. I need to do the major construction. I will be working on some of the stuff left in the sections I have been working on but the bulk of my time will be in the major construction. Once the major construction is done I will go back to tie up all the loose ends. I cannot do that until I am just about ready to close up the fuselage as too early and the parts will break off and the build will become incredibly difficult.

Thank you for following along with this, as always, all comments, critiques, and criticism are encouraged.

Joe

The paint really brings it to life. I have this kit in my stash to build- the kit moulded detail is very soft, but I think I will stick to it- my scratch bulding skills would be nowhere close to yours.

You are very kind. I have said from the beginning, anyone can do what I am doing. Most would do it much better. To be honest you do not know until you try.

Joe

A quick update, two days off and hoping to get a lot of rest as well as just a little bit done on this.

So here I am.

The next major obstacle to tackle is the bomb bay. As I seem to be going all out on this build I figured why not? How bout a scratched bomb bay. So after a few nights of tinkering here is where I begin my process. The major framework is about 150 pieces. More is coming.

Bomb-Bay-2_zpsespmzfek.jpg

Bomb-Bay-3_zpspv7fs3wv.jpg

Bomb-Bay-4_zps17bh6uu8.jpg

The outer racks are also ready for the detail work.

Bomb-Bay-5_zpswykmwlol.jpg

And finally, for this update, the rack in place with the pit/nav station and the radio station.

Bomb-Bay-1_zps8zipju0y.jpg

And so the next phase begins.

Joe

Well my friends, taking advantage of some time off, more has been accomplished.

Continuing with the bomb bay, yesterday and this morning were for some of the bigger structures.

The forward bulkhead.

Bomb-Bay-13_zpspq6j5y0r.jpg

Bomb-Bay-8_zpsc2lxujjx.jpg

The rear bulkhead.

Bomb-Bay-12_zps6hlrcyci.jpg

Bomb-Bay-7_zpsnpxzspry.jpg

The "walls" of the bay.

Bomb-Bay-10_zpsvdkf3nn1.jpg

Bomb-Bay-9_zps4m9ap2uz.jpg

And the attachments for the payload.

Bomb-Bay-6_zpsi0jmlvwl.jpg

Not striving for 100% accuracy here but want to give a fair representation of some of the internal bits and bobs. That being said there are still a handful or more of things that require attention yet. however the major stuff is ready.

Next major construction will be the radio station.

Joe

Another quick update.

Work continues into the Radio Station. Still somethings to research a bit.

Looks a bit rough up close like these pics but it does pass the eye test for me.

I am tired to enough rambling.

Radio-Station-1_zpsnbbez6pc.jpg

Radio-Station-2_zpsnk1pue0w.jpg

Radio-Station3_zpsbtk1xg4z.jpg

Radio-Station-4_zpsgvivhggz.jpg

Radio-Station-5_zpsooffwsu5.jpg

To sum it up.

Bomb/Nav Station 90% construction finished.
Cockpit 80% construction finished.
Access Area 90% construction finished.
Bomb Bay 80% construction finished.
Radio Station 80% construction finished.

This does not include painting.

Next up will be working into the Waist Gunner positions and the Belly Turret.

Joe

With some time off from work I plan to spend some time on this.

Not really going to plan as of yet but hopefully.

A brief update.

Working in the waist gunner positions. The walkway and a bit on the bulkhead. Also a bit on the belly turret frame.

Pictures speak a thousand words.

Waist-1_zpsmehjmtab.jpg

Waist-2_zpsmp42hupc.jpg

Now as for the turret framing. This is not accurate. The frame attaches differently however I am going with what I have. I had some issues with it and this is as close as I can get.

Waist-4_zpsbsgrhrsj.jpg

Waist-3_zps2lbpnl2y.jpg

I hope to have more done in the next couple of days. (Back allowed)

Joe

Ok through the day today some progress has been made.

Some finish work on the belly turret, (the bracket for the O2 tank) and some brackets for O2 tanks and fire extinguishers. Spent some time working on the smaller O2 tanks and the fire extinguishers themselves.

Waist-5_zpsieycqjgi.jpg

Waist-6_zpskmqqz2dc.jpg

O2-Bottles_zpszug66bfc.jpg

Fire-Extinguishers_zpsbugbedos.jpg

Also tackled the tail gunner position. This had to be scratch built from the get go as so much will be seen.

Tail-Turret_zpsyhtod1yn.jpg

Now for the good news. I believe I am at the point I can begin to paint and begin to permanently install the fixtures into the fuse. :D

There are still things to do but some cannot be done without pieces in place. I have not tackled the top turret at all and just the framework on the belly turret.

Still so far to go but on the overall I believe I am about 50% done with the interior.

Joe

Latest posts

Back