1/350 Radiant VII

Angle looks really good.
This one's going to look sharp once you get her painted up

I’m trying to be really careful about the painting process on this one. I did some preliminary testing and determined that Testor’s Model Master Acryl CABOOSE RED mixed with a few drops of flat white is a really good match. Some of the studio model pics look a little washed out, but once the rest of the layers of paint and weathering are applied I think this one will be a top shelf finish. The process of applying the first coat was a bit slow because of all the nooks and crannies (some were still missed). I think I will try a thinned down insignia red with a drop or two of white in it to hit some of the areas that still show primer and where too much of the pre-shading lines show up. From there I will mask and add the white striping…

radiant_img_6941.jpg

radiant_img_6974.jpg

radiant_img_6942.jpg

radiant_img_6943.jpg

radiant_img_6945.jpg

radiant_img_6947.jpg

radiant_img_6948.jpg

radiant_img_6951.jpg

radiant_img_6976.jpg

radiant_img_6978.jpg

More painting progress. Did some misting and post-shading with Insignia Red, then some more misting and post-shading with some Caboose Red with some drops of white. I think she’s good on the red coats so now the next steps will be masking off for the white stripes!!

radiant_img_7134.jpg

radiant_img_7135.jpg

radiant_img_7136.jpg

radiant_img_7137.jpg

radiant_img_7138.jpg

radiant_img_7139.jpg

radiant_img_7140.jpg

radiant_img_7141.jpg

radiant_img_7142.jpg

radiant_img_7143.jpg

radiant_img_7144.jpg

radiant_img_7145.jpg

radiant_img_7146.jpg

radiant_img_7147.jpg

radiant_img_7148.jpg

radiant_img_7149.jpg

radiant_img_7150.jpg

radiant_img_7151.jpg

radiant_img_7152.jpg

radiant_img_7153.jpg

Masking and chipping complete! It took a few sessions of an hour or two each to get every little nook and cranny masked. But now she’s ready for the very careful application of flat white. The chipping method was done by using a toothpick to dab vaseline onto the areas that will be “chipped”. First time trying this method but I think it will work much better than the MicroMask (which pulls paint off).

radiant_img_7315.jpg

radiant_img_7316.jpg

radiant_img_7351.jpg

radiant_img_7352.jpg

radiant_img_7353.jpg

radiant_img_7354.jpg

Micro Mask (if it is the same as Maskol/liquid mask) can take the paint off with it, which sometimes looks good because it actually is 'chipping the paint' but if you put it on thinly you won't find it pulling all the paint off. I'm really looking forward to see how the Vaseline technique will work here. Your doing an awesome job.

GUYS!!!!! I took some time this morning and did the white. HOLY SHIT!!! I feel like I tempt fate with the complexity of masking. Overall the lines are sharp. My only mistake was using the other masking tape for larger areas. Oops. Some touch up will be needed. But the vaseline did the trick!!! I'll post pics tonight but man, it's effective! I could've gone smaller on the chips but oh well....you'll just have to live in suspense for the rest of the day :p

Huzzah! Masking removed. I am VERY pleased with how it came out. Sure, there are some touch ups needed (note to self: don’t use standard masking tape for large areas), but overall it’s nice and clean. The vaseline chipping technique worked pretty well for my first attempt with the method. Every experiment is a learning experience! Now on to the detail painting!

radiant_img_7367.jpg

radiant_img_7368.jpg

radiant_img_7369.jpg

radiant_img_7370.jpg

radiant_img_7372.jpg

radiant_img_7373.jpg

radiant_img_7375.jpg

radiant_img_7376.jpg

radiant_img_7377.jpg

radiant_img_7378.jpg

radiant_img_7379.jpg

radiant_img_7380.jpg