1/350 Radiant VII

Yeah, it's actually a really quick kit to put together! I'd be painting it already if not for the whole hollowing and lighting thing. :) I did get my LED's today but they were all warm white so I had to paint them yellow.

img_4796.jpg

Sometimes the big steps are the easiest…

First, the lights. The circuit is all white LEDs, both cool and warm. So to get the yellow I dipped the engine LEDs in Tamiya clear yellow. I also drilled out the engine plates better so the LEDs fit really nice and snugly.

radiant_img_4795.jpg

radiant_img_4796.jpg

radiant_img_5001.jpg

radiant_img_5004.jpg

Also threaded the cockpit LED through the spine and attached it. There are couple little areas that will need some filling but nothing to worry about. I did accidentally snap off the front viewport top brace so I’ll have to reconstruct that.

radiant_img_4994.jpg

radiant_img_4995.jpg

radiant_img_4998.jpg

radiant_img_4999.jpg

My “fin channeling” experiment worked pretty well. Each channel was deep enough for not only all 7 wires per engine, but was the right thickness to slide in some sheet styrene to plug the gap. It also cleaned up better than putty would have. Lights are looking good in their proper places.

radiant_img_5006.jpg

radiant_img_5007.jpg

radiant_img_5008.jpg

radiant_img_5009.jpg

radiant_img_5010.jpg

radiant_img_5011.jpg

The wires were neat and tidy enough to attach the main engine parts! Woohoo! Big step towards making it look like it’s supposed to. :) But I think when I did my routing at the beginning of this project I went a little too far with the “injection caps” or whatever they’re called because they didn’t quite center properly. To fix it I just added a tiny shim to keep the cones from shifting too far while the glue set. They’ll be visible but will remain unobtrusive.

radiant_img_5014.jpg

radiant_img_5015.jpg

radiant_img_5017.jpg

radiant_img_5018.jpg

radiant_img_5019.jpg

Even with all the room that I made it’s a little challenging to get everything tucked nice and neatly under the antenna array cap. There was some extra room in the center hull to pack stuff into which helps, but I’m still going to have to be careful how I lay everything out under there, especially with the fiber optics and LED.

radiant_img_5013.jpg

radiant_img_5020.jpg

radiant_img_5022.jpg

radiant_img_5025.jpg

radiant_img_5026.jpg

Impressive work, Nick.
Reminds me of all the fiber spaghetti inside my Enterprise build

Thanks guys! It's a wonder they all fit!!! But I'm really keen on using small gauge wires just in case this situation happens. I used pretty thick gauge wires for my last 1/2256 MC-80 build and the damn thing barely squeezed shut!!

Very small update. Actually did this work a few weeks ago and am just now getting around to posting :p

radiant_img_5167.jpg

radiant_img_5164.jpg

radiant_img_5165.jpg

radiant_img_5166.jpg

Bout time for another update, eh?

primed the array
radiant_img_5431.jpg

filled the pit
radiant_img_5433.jpg

secured the power
radiant_img_5434.jpg

blocked the light