1/350 Radiant VII

nicholassagan

sippin on gin + juice
Just a place holder. You know it'll happen. 8)

Fichtenfoo's Build:
FichtenFoo-RadiantVII-WP.jpg

Wow! Such enthusiasm and I haven't even cleaned the resin up yet! Great!! I'll try not to disappoint!!

All the blue markings are where I will take a router and clean out material to make room for the lighting circuits. I’m going to plan on doing a ‘ship-mounted’ battery so stay tuned to see the challenge overcome! I'm thinking coin cells under the antenna assembly. I also have some clear acrylic rod on the way so that will be a challenge bending it!

Here's where she sits:

marks are for fiber optics
radiant_img_4581.jpg

all the trimmings to make
radiant_img_4582.jpg

radiant_img_4580.jpg

opened up the 'pit
radiant_img_4583.jpg

radiant_img_4596.jpg

with FO spots
radiant_img_4584.jpg

battery cavity
radiant_img_4587.jpg

radiant_img_4586.jpg

radiant_img_4585.jpg

big trench to gut
radiant_img_4588.jpg

trimming to get to fit...the main engine rack must have shrunk just slightly during casting because these fit like a glove on the master...
radiant_img_4590.jpg

radiant_img_4591.jpg

radiant_img_4592.jpg

managed to assemble the engine fins
radiant_img_4593.jpg

fiddley bits
radiant_img_4594.jpg

engine nozzles via stefan
radiant_img_4595.jpg

base
radiant_img_4597.jpg

You certainly have your work 'cut out' for you. lol. Seriously though...gonna be epic.

Nice. Are you doing the Charger refit version from the Clone Wars or the Radiant VIII?

I'm going the classic route since it'll fit better with GB theme. If I were doing the Refit it would be a "during wartime" build. 8)

Plenty of drilling and Dremeling on this guy, too. First the drill came in and cut the longer paths for the wiring, right down the main hull and front pod section. My aim was a little off so it took a small bite out of the detail in the front but was easy enough to replace. While I was looking at the top cockpit spine part I noticed that there were some faint scribing lines they needed some attention.

radiant_img_4653.jpg

radiant_img_4654.jpg

radiant_img_4660.jpg

radiant_img_4661.jpg

radiant_img_4662.jpg

radiant_img_4663.jpg

radiant_img_4664.jpg

radiant_img_4665.jpg

Additionally, the rings that go on the engine section needed some trimming to fit. Now they all fit a little loosely but they should still adhere pretty well. This section will be a sub-assembly before painting.

radiant_img_4666.jpg

radiant_img_4667.jpg

radiant_img_4668.jpg

radiant_img_4669.jpg

In order to hide the wires that will run to the engine LEDs I used the cutting blade to dig a hidden trench in the triangular piece. The thickness was just right but I did tilt it just slightly on a section so there will be a light repair job ahead. You can see I also gutted the connecting pieces a bit, just to provide a little more room to work.

radiant_img_4670.jpg

radiant_img_4671.jpg

radiant_img_4672.jpg

radiant_img_4673.jpg

radiant_img_4674.jpg

radiant_img_4675.jpg

The triangular piece also had some bulk that I was able to gut. It’s not a lot but it’ll be enough in combination with the antenna cap to house the batteries. The connecting main hull section was also opened up in the front (for easier fiber optic runs) and the back (for easier wire runs). Looks pretty good straight through so far.

radiant_img_4676.jpg

radiant_img_4677.jpg

radiant_img_4678.jpg

radiant_img_4679.jpg

radiant_img_4680.jpg

The antenna cap is the piece with the most useable or gut-able bulk. It’s essentially a shell now. There was only one tiny spot that I bored through but again, minor repair work. In combination with the triangular piece it makes a good bit of room.

radiant_img_4681.jpg

radiant_img_4682.jpg

radiant_img_4683.jpg

radiant_img_4684.jpg

radiant_img_4686.jpg

The last bit of gutting needed was the spine and pod sections. No problem. The pod does have a deeper section in the middle to make it easier on the fiber optics that will go in the bottom. The cockpit I went a little to far and opened up the floor but since the consoles and chairs are a separate piece they should cover it up just fine.

radiant_img_4687.jpg

radiant_img_4688.jpg

radiant_img_4689.jpg

radiant_img_4690.jpg

radiant_img_4691.jpg

radiant_img_4692.jpg

Between this and the Sandcrawler, you probably have enough resin dust to cast another model

JohnSimmons said:
It must look like jolly old Saint Nick Sagan's grotto in there!

LoL, John!! ;D ;D

Nick, the build is starting outstanding. Will be following it step-by-step when turning to building mine definitely!

Built up the engine sub-assembly sans-LED plates (which I drilled out in preparation for the incoming LEDs). There were some not-so-finished edges on the connecting fins so I added some U-bar strips. Also threaded the fiber optics for it which will run into the battery compartment.

radiant_img_4703.jpg

radiant_img_4712.jpg

radiant_img_4716.jpg

radiant_img_4722.jpg

Joined the main hull and wing section. Then I dropped it and it snapped to I put it back together with some reinforcement. You can also see in the profile shot the shape of the battery “cap” space. There was a slight hang-up on the central engine injection curvy piece so that was trimmed.

radiant_img_4708.jpg

radiant_img_4710.jpg

radiant_img_4711.jpg

radiant_img_4745.jpg

radiant_img_4727.jpg

Threaded the big-ass fiber optics. Word.

radiant_img_4719.jpg

radiant_img_4720.jpg

radiant_img_4718.jpg

Now to the battery compartment cap/antenna array. Firstly I needed to cover that gap I opened up so I cut out a piece of plastic from a film canister. It fits perfectly over the area AND provides support for that main antenna arm. The magnets were a breeze to install and the whole thing clamps down in place nicely. There was a little bit of a gap up in the front so some filler styrene was added. Not too worried about any gaps at this point because I’m trying to save all my putty work for one step.

radiant_img_4746.jpg

radiant_img_4744.jpg

radiant_img_4747.jpg

The array itself is a fun, detailed assembly of fiddley bits. Lots of careful sanding and tweezer work. The wires included in the kit were the perfect diameter to fit through some brass tubing, which is closer to the studio model. I also bent the dish-wire to poke through, also matching the studio model better.

radiant_img_4754.jpg

radiant_img_4755.jpg

radiant_img_4756.jpg

radiant_img_4757.jpg

radiant_img_4758.jpg

Latest posts

Back