1/35 X-wing - Forced perspective Diorama

Re: 1/35 X-wing

Thanks guys.

I took the razor saw to the Y-Wing cockpit. I have some figures partly assembled too, no pics though.

3498.jpg

Great stuff! Your certainly doing well juggling all you builds around mate it's nice to see that the quality of your work isn't dropping due to the number of builds you got goin on!

Thanks. I do have a ton of projects in progress....insanity I tell you. Cutting up that canopy wasn't difficult...just had to go really, really slow.

I'm getting caught up on your build, Scott and I can only say....WOW! :eek: Outstanding superdetailing! I love the X-wing's engines, especially. And your weathering is excellent, too. This is really great to follow.

Thank you gentlemen.

Had an hour paint session on Corran's X-Wing. This will have green markings. Still working out the feel for pre shading...this was one application of light grey. I'm going to go over it again with white concentrating on the center of the panels.

The really dark areas (around the nose cone) are a result of the color correcting in photoshop. I gotta white balance my camera. ???

3555.jpg

3556.jpg

** In hindsight, I don't' think my paint was thin enough. In order to get nice and close to the panels lines without covering - and have a tight feathered edge - I'll need to thin the paint more..tricky to find the right spot. I have lots in the queue to paint...lots to practice on.

All CCs are welcome - encouraged actually. ;D

I'm gonna be pre-shading my War Wheels build here soon, which is something I've never done before. I've got some gray Vallejo primer for the base, and some dark green Vallejo primer for the pre-shade. I'm of the understanding that the color coats over a pre-shade should be semi-transparent to let the pre-shade color show. It sounds like you're simply airbrushing AROUND the pre-shade you laid down, and feathering the edges of your color/pre-shade boundary. Is that how pre-shading is done? Thanks for the help!

The X-Wing is looking REALLY good so far, Mr Girvan! ;D

From what I've been taught, you concentrate on the centers of the panels and ease your way over to the panel lines, feathering that edge.

At the end of the day the goal is for the dark panel lines to show through. As you can see above I don't have it down 100% yet.

But that's why we're here. To practice, learn, get some help and repeat.

Looks like all that time in the paint shop practicing has done some good brother. You've really begun to grasp the technique well, it doesn't have to be absolutely perfect and straight, the shadows are visible and further feathering will be accomplished as you weather it. I think it looks awesome.

Scott Girvan said:
All CCs are welcome - encouraged actually. ;D

My only constructive criticism at this point would be to continue on and do it on some more models.

constructive criticism?!

*Flips desk sending computer flying and rage quits.

NecronautDrummer said:
I'm of the understanding that the color coats over a pre-shade should be semi-transparent to let the pre-shade color show. It sounds like you're simply airbrushing AROUND the pre-shade you laid down, and feathering the edges of your color/pre-shade boundary. Is that how pre-shading is done?

It's really a bit of combining the two. Far too often you will see excellent pre shading end up covered by the base coat and completely negate the pre shade entirely.

The idea is to allow the shadow to show through the lines and this is accomplished fairly easy by not completely covering it with paint. By staying closer to the panels center, your over spray will coat the lines but the thicker paint will stay towards the inside of each panel, allowing the effect seen above.

edit:

Scott Girvan said:
From what I've been taught, you concentrate on the centers of the panels and ease your way over to the panel lines, feathering that edge.

;)

Looks like it's rather tricky and might take a good bit of practice.

I like it! ;)

I've never tried pre-shading as I always felt that I would end up painting over the dark colour. This method makes more sense to me, but sounds more advanced.

I wonder, is there a video tutorial of this technique around somewhere?

Cheers,
Iain. :)

Igard said:
I wonder, is there a video tutorial of this technique around somewhere?

Hmmmm

I think Scott may have one in his inbox or wutevs

;D

God only knows where that is now....too much glee mail.

Igard - sure it's a bit tricky...but so is gluing two parts without getting fingerprints all over it - the first few times. I'm learning that the key to learning is..doing.

I resolve to ruin as many kits as it takes until I learn...and then keep on learning.

Looking great Scott!! Gonna agree with Ken on this one....top notch shading! That will blend in nicely when you get to the weathering!! :eek:

Latest posts

Back